Grief Healing Discussion Groups

There Will Be More Cats

grace10

I have no idea if this will be helpful to anyone, but I just wanted to tell the story of Lacey. Beautiful Lacey, 13 year old Russian blue type of kittie. Could even jump six foot fences at age 13 and was the perfect indoor/outdoor kittie. I named her Lacey because when i picked her up from the cat adoption person, there was a shoelace in the box. Lacey sure liked to play too.

The last time I saw Lacey was on a December morning playing in the backyard. I had to take a trip to LA that day. On the way home, I remember I stopped at Burlington Coat Factory and bought my mother some sweaters for Christmas. I was so filled with joy doing this. I still have one of those sweaters in my drawer. When I arrived home, Lacey was nowhere to be found. To make a long story short, never found. I do not know if it was foul play or a fight with another animal. A psychic I trusted said she did battle with another animal. She was always skittish about other cats and any animal.

Now, four years later, I have two young cats in my home. One is Gracie, a beautiful Calico scaredy kittie almost two years old who was rescued from hanging with the feral cats and very pregnant at the time. After Gracie settled in, I thought she needed a companion. Less than a month before my mother passed on, Ollie, three month old kitten arrived in my life. Amazingly, the two now get along with each other.

I am just telling this story, because, just as it hurts so deeply to lose a beloved pet, and I feel sad telling the story of Lacey, we do heal on many levels, and there will be room in your heart at the right time for new pets to love. Ollie, especially, has been such a comfort and blessing with his affection his insistence for me to play. The kitties have helped me as I grieve the October loss of my mother.

Thank you for sharing that...I feel the same way. Sometimes a person needs some space before getting another pet, but sometimes they want to get one right away...it's okay either way, whatever seems right to them.

The best thing I ever did was get my Arlie (Gorsky: 1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Husky), he's been a great companion and fills my life with joy and purpose.

• 3 months later...

Hi my husband and i are dealing with the loss of our beloved XENA she was an beautiful chocolate brown cat with gold eyes to make an long story short we got her from an add in the paper she was just 3 months old and the only female in the little ..she was ours she wa sin our lives for nearly 14 years but she had some very turns with her health lost her nearly an few times.. but yesterday she had enough i hope i never have to put an animal down again it took less then an minute i hugged and kissed her good bye and said her human mum and dad loved her and she was gone ..my poor husband thought he heard her last night i said to him its just her soul/spirit still hanging around we told her today thats its ok to go to god he will make sure you will never be ill or and never grow any older not like your human mum and dad RIP my our beloved cat Xena ..till we meet again beautiful girl..

I was doing some cleaning up in my late cats favourite place and found one of her little toys i just fell apart again i miss her so much i cant get the the crying she did before she died ..i wish i was having an nightmare and would wake up soon BUT then reality hits ..

Xena,

I'm sorry you lost your cat. I've lost both cats and dogs and it's never easy, we continue to miss them. After my late husband died, I remember hearing someone say something like "our missing them is a memorial to how much they meant to us" and it is like that with our pets too. Each one I have lost, I have missed for their own unique qualities. The pain serves as a reminder that they made such a deep place in our hearts as to be irreplaceable, but we can heal and eventually learn to live even with the loss in our lives...we never stop missing them but the pain eventually lessens and as we remember the special things about them, we will remember with a smile, for they were a comfort to our hearts.