Grief Healing Discussion Groups

One Year Today

I'm not very good with words so I writing this from my heart. As I sit here tonight I find it hard to believe it has been a year since I heard my best friend say the words "He's gone" She was staying with him while I ran home to get a change of clothes & feed the dog. I remember pulling over to the side of the road in disbelief. Afterall, he was just suppose to go to the hospice facility to get through this setback and then he would come home. He had pulled through so many times, why wouldn't he this time? This past year has been such a blur. An accomplishment has sometimes just been getting up in the morning and making it through the day. It's been all about taking one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other. I can say I'm doing better each day. Yes, I miss him terribly, but I'm able to smile at my memories and when I think of him. Today, I went to the hospice he was in his last few days of life, I took them a card, some flowers and lots of supplies for the kitchen, because what better way to honor Tim's memory than to thank the wonderful people that cared for him, myself, and our family and showed us so much love & compassion. It felt good to give back to the ones that gave us so much. I also got a call from my 15 year old granddaughter telling me she got an A+ on her English final. Part of that final was to write a poem and she wrote it about her grandpa. She is going to email it to me, because she said she'd cry if she tried to read it to me. I will share it when she sends it. So all in all, it was a good day. Full of beautiful memories, some tears and knowing I can make it. Tim is always in my heart and I will miss him always, he was my soulmate, my best friend, but he would want me to carry on our dreams and be happy until we can be together again. Thank you for letting me share these thoughts and my day with all of you. You have all helped me so much during this first year and I hope I've been able to help some of you. You've become my friends and I wish you all beautiful memories and hope for the future.

Chris

You made it..grace under fire. I understand that feeling....he was supposed to come home...my husband was also. It sounds like you made a good day out of a tough day. Yesterday was my husband's birthday and in two months I will be dealing with the one year anniversary also. Your letter helped me. Thank you. Sleep peacefully. mfh

Dear Chris,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute. What a testament to the love you two shared. Your words are just beautiful. Wonderful memories we have to carry with us forever. And yes, at least for myself I have received from you, thank you.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

Chrissie,

You're right, sometimes an accomplishment is just getting through the day, and what a tremendous accomplishment that is, under the circumstances this year, right?!

I felt a sense of relief after the first year of "firsts without" went by. It signaled a having made it thus far, no easy feat! I hope this year goes better for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, you picked good ways to remember your Tim on that first anniversary, and your granddaughter's poem was wonderful. I believe that what Kayc said about feeling the sense of relief after the year of firsts happened to me also. If you can get through the first year, you can make it through anything! I have felt peace and calm since Jan. 13th that I did not expect. You sound as though you are also starting to feel that, I hope so.

Thank you for sharing.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas