Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Norwegian Holiday

Tomorrow is May 17th, Norway's national day. This is a day of enormous celebration throughout the country I live in. And tomorrow was going to be the first day my husband and I would be taking off by ourselves - getting away from it all.

Throughout our children's childhood and teenage years, there were celebratory school festivities, picnics, parties and parades. Last year at this time, my husband had cancer, but was feeling pretty good. We watched as our youngest son celebrated his "leaving high school" parade and attended a party afterwards.

Tomorrow we'd planned to rent a cabin in the mountains and get away from it all - just the two of us. Of course he'd beat the cancer. Of course we'd be together for years and years. Like we'd planned.

But tomorrow I'll be completely alone - or, it'll be me and the dog.

This will be another tough "first".

Melina

Melina, my heart reaches out to your heart. Holidays are tough enough without having one that is loaded with so many feelings, hopes, expectation and dreams. I am so so sorry and I will keep you in my heart tomorrow. I think as I type this it is after midnight there and you will be waking up to this day. We both know I have no words but do know I care about your pain. I can relate to some degree as I anticipate Bill's and my 25th Silver anniversary in June as we had plans to go to Europe...of course he would be well enough...of course death would not enter our lives....I hope you have someone to spend some of the day with, someone who cares and understands would help. I will check the site often tomorrow for your posts. Peace, mfh

Guest Nicholas

Others may disagree, but I think it is important not to be alone on birthdays, holidays and "firsts" but to share them with someone or people who care.

Tusen tak!

Nicholas

Melina, May 17 is a first birthday for me without Jim, he fought cancer for a year and 8 months, died on Aug 16, 2010. You would think that for someone being sick that long, I should have expected it but I didn't. It is 3 am, I cannot sleep, and a wave of grief has overtaken me. I will think of you during the day and know I am nolt alone. You are in my prayers.

Darl

Thanks everyone, for your kind words and warm thoughts. I know it seems silly to get hung up on a holiday like this one. It's like July 4th for the rest of you (at least those in the US). But it's another first without him.

Darl, you'll be in my thoughts especially today. Is there someone you can be with to make your birthday less difficult to deal wtih? Jim died just eleven days after Thyge, so we're at about the same stage right now.

Melina

Melina,

My thoughts are with you today. Know that he is there with you in spirit and who knows what they can see or hear, there's so much we don't know but he lives in your heart and is with you even as you experience this special holiday feeling you are alone. (((hugs)))

Kay

Oh gosh, I could use you at MY house! LOL My grass is a foot tall and I can't get my lawnmower started. Am wondering if it will keep until my son makes it home next month or if I'll have to tackle the worst of it with the weedwhacker while I'm waiting...probably the latter. :)

Melina,

I hope your day in the yard helped. I was in my yard planting perennials and cutting grass. I just finished and the rain started, how nice for it to wait.

Sending lots of (((hugs))) your way. You're in my thoughts.

Lainey

Thanks Lainey,

Do they have May 17th celebrations in Saskatchewan? Just thinking since Lars was Norwegian. Hope your garden turned out nice.

Kay - hope some nice person will come and fix your lawnmower. I have the kind you push, and it's pretty heavy. Like a work-out, really.

Melina