Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Remembering A Family Pet And Special Friend

kamal

We had a special family pet dog pass away and I am interested in hearing what people do to remember a part of the family that no longer is around.

Pets are dear to us all and I know a lot of people have different thoughts about what they have done or what they would do.

Thank you

Dear One,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you'll be hearing from several of our other members too, but here are two articles and two books I thought you might find helpful:

Funerals for Pets?

Memorializing a Cherished Pet

The Monday Pet Loss Candle Ceremony

Pet Prayers and Blessings: Ceremonies and Celebrations (book)

Rainbows and Bridges: An Animal Companion Memorial Kit (book)

Years ago we had just the perfect family pet, Fluffy. He was small but not a barker, he was adorable, 1/2 American Eskimo, 1/2 Cocker Spaniel. He passed away unexpectedly and it was a huge blow to all four of us, he was in the prime of his life and we'd assumed we'd have him for several more years. We buried him in our back yard and erected a wooden cross and etched all of his favorite words on it "treat", "go", etc. (We also put his name and the dates on it) We live in the country with plenty of acreage and it's a little out of view, but sometimes we wander over where his cross is and think about him. Of course he will never be forgotten and I can't wait to see him again someday.

Hi, I live in an apartment and am limited on a burial in a yard. My 16 year old Siamese kitty passed away over two years ago. I had him cremated by Peaceful Paws. My Vet took care of the arrangements. Pet Paws had the ashes placed in a heartwarming little cedar chest and also made a pawprint. I have his ashes, pawprint, collar tag and one of his toys on one of his pink beds in a special place in my room. He loved that pink bed. It gives me comfort and I feel close to him. The The Monday Pet Loss Candle Ceremony that Marty T gave you is a very special place to memorialize your pet. My heartfelt condolences go out to you with the loss of your pet.