Grief Healing Discussion Groups

What Do I Do?

plasticmary

I lost two of my four precious dogs this year. One in March, the other in April. Today I missed them so much. After my first passed, Molly, and before the second passed, a little dog showed up in our neighborhood, starving and scared. I had no intention of adopting another dog but I couldn't let her starve. So I left food out for she eventually overcame her fear and has been with us for the past few months.

Anyway, she had a big lump on her face and, once I was able to get close to her, I took her to the vet. She has stage 3 cancer in her nasal cavity and hear worms. The vet gave her some medicine that is suppose to slow the cancer down a bit and help some with pain but there is nothing more we can do for her. I am very torn, however, over what to do now. The poor little thing has light bleeding from her nose. She has a hard time breathing. She throws up a little clear liquid once or twice a day. But she loves to go on walks and runs with me. She keeps up with me the whole time we run. She rolls around in the grass. She chases birds. She's very energetic on walks.

But as I sit her with her tonight, a little blood seeping from her nose, I wonder about what to do. It was horrible to have to put to sleep my first dog. Horrible. I questioned everything about that decision. The vet says that usually they will stop eating when they are in pain but my husband thinks she's not doing well. Does anyone have any advice here on what to do? This is the last thing I want to have to decide. But, after losing two dogs, I want to do right by this poor little girl.

I had to put our dog to sleep in 2000 and I was in a quandary about what to do. He had been through a lot and I was on a fence. I called our vet, who happened to be my friend. She said to me, Mary, you will know when it is time. I had to trust that and my intuition. It was the very next day that our dog came into the house and slipped in his own vomit, could not get up and I said to Bill....it is time. It is such a tough call. Your dog sounds like he is still enjoying life but in the end...I think you have to trust your own intuition and voice. I wish I could give you better advice but this worked for me...I am sorry for your losses. Mary

I am sorry you are facing this once again, I know how hard it is.

You will know when it is time...it is when the quality of life is drowned out by the misery. When they are more miserable than they can enjoy life, it's time to let them go...for their own sake. I went through something similar with one of my cats, it was horrible to watch him suffer but when I found out he wouldn't recover and his suffering was for nothing, I decided to have him put to sleep, he'd suffered enough. I will always miss him.

Marty, The pet hospice site is a great site. Thank you. I am reading a book right now called, Your Dog is Your Mirror by Kevin Behan. It discusses how your dog (he does not believe this is true of cats) reflects the deep feelings that you may not even be in touch with and goes into the why of this. It is pretty amazing. Mary