Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Her Last Day Today

plasticmary

Meadow died today. She was a little stray dog that was starving and terrified who showed up in our neighborhood. We reluctantly took her in and she stayed with us the past 3 1/2 months. We didn't want another dog but she has been a great addition to our lives. She was sweet and loved to go on walks. She was good company for me. She had a lump on her face that turned out to be stage 3 nasal cancer. She's been on some medication and doing great - until today. She started bleeding from her mouth. It seemed to clear up but about every hour, she would bleed. The vet said it was from the cancer and while this wouldn't necessarily hurt her, she was getting to the point where the cancer could eat away at her jaw and it could break. I didn't want to see her suffer and I felt so bad that she would have to deal with blood pouring from her mouth all day long, so I decided tonight to put her to sleep. I hope I made the right decision. She loved life. This afternoon I took her for a walk, which made her mouth bleed again but she was happy on walks. She's been having a hard time breathing for a long time now. But the blood was just too much. It seemed cruel for her to have to deal with that. She was a great dog. I miss her already and will miss her dearly.

I am sorry sorry for your lost and believe I know what you are going through, today is the last full day of my beloved dog Chelsea as she is being put to sleep tomorrow because she has cancer and is in pain... I am so very sorry that you are going through this and I will keep you in my prayers... Shelley

What a priceless gift you gave to that little Soul, she left knowing she was loved. I truely beliwve there is no gift greater, in the universe, whether for a day, week or longer. This is why I love volunteering for hospice. So may people leave at the end (whether leaving people or fourleggeds). Being there at the end of this journey on the planet so that that soul doent have to died alone truely is a great gift to them!

• 2 weeks later...

[i am so sorry you lost your little Meadow, but thank God you gave her the best part of her life and cared about her when she needed it most. My prayers are with you...