Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Tell Me Something Special

I am ready to hear something good...I know your loved ones as someone who was sick or struck by tragedy or some unforeseen event...but every day I hear about how you love that person, and I wonder...I know about you, but I don't know about them...who are they?

My husband was the sweetest man I ever met, loving...full of compassion, always helping people, and had such a wonderful personality, full of humor.

Tell me about yours...

I don't know if I have all the words. Husband...Not one day without saying "I love you" with all the depth his heart could utter followed by a kiss. He never took our love for granted. Years before we met I thought love was something that faded but it never did. It grew stronger, Gene never took love for granted...I never took it for granted. I knew I was blessed to have this wonderful man in my life. Tender...never let a special day go by without showing his love...little gifts out of nowhere...simple things like little notes...a Hershey Kiss on my pillow out of nowhere. Yellow roses for birthdays and anniversaries and "just because" days. A wildflower when he found one. The last gift was a silk orchid he ordered on the internet when he couldn't drive and shop anymore....May 6th..our anniversary. Simple...got the most joy out of simple things...watching the stars together, camping, fishing, walking through the woods, a simple weenie roast, a long ride to nowhere just talking, watching rainbows with amazement, playing with his dogs, watching the hummingbirds for hours. My friend...always there to lean on, to listen, to be strong for me when I needed it. We could finish each other's sentences...we would meet halfway in the hall with the same spontaneous idea. Father...we had "yours, mine, & ours"..they are all OURS. The 4 children are who they are because of Gene...teacher, guideance counselor, clown, coach. All the wrestling on the floor with kids, rubber band fights, water fights. Once he got the kids good. Actually ran a hose from the front door through the house to the back door to do a "gotchya" with the kids. As adults it turned into a personal challange at cards...Daddy against the kids. They all have the word "can't" branded in their minds....Daddy said "can't" is not a good word...you have to try. Peacemaker....the hub of his family. His brothers called him to bounce off of...relying on Gene to listen...to keep the family together...to do the right thing in a family crisis. His brothers call me now...did this week. Family First...always...no matter what. Grandfather...oh, that was special to Gene. And he never got to teach them all to fish...he wanted to be the one to teach them. He settled for just putting them in his boat under the carport and letting them steer and play while he watched. Santa......all year long he'd shop for the little ones for Christmas. And then he played Santa handing out gifts when they came. One of our girls a couple weeks, remembering, quoted Gene as if the words and expressions were exactly his as he handed out each present and watched the little ones. I don't know how we are going to do Christmas without him there to give out the gifts. I don't know how I'll do today. I know he's still with me but all the joy in my life is gone. All the special things are gone. All the sunshine and rainbows are gone. Gene made everything special...all the little things...all the big things.

I miss you Gene!

Always Gene!

Always my love!

What a legacy! You husband sounds so much like mine, except you had more time together. We, too, enjoyed the same things...I am still finding little "I love you" post-it notes around the house...he left them in cupboards, all over the place. We enjoyed each other, we loved each other like nothing I've ever seen before. As much as I hate being alone, I cannot imagine trying to replace what is futile to replace...I wait and long for the day I can go be with him again.

KayC, for all of us it would not have been long enough if our loves could have stayed for a million years. I don't think it's time....it's the quality...the special bond...the neverending love that two people share....that something special...the once-in-a-lifetime. It's what you and George share....if it wasn't then the pain would not be so great. The empty days are hard. What we share with our loves can't be replaced...can't be erased...ours to hold on to forever...ours to know we'll share past the veil. I've read all you've written about George and I've thought...I know what the two of you shared....how special every moment.

Thanks for letting me write so much about Gene. And the more I read the more I realize how many special people I missed through life....how many special people are "left behind".

I never said goodbye. I'll never say goodbye. IT'S NOT OVER!

Always Gene!

Always!

Here are a few words that only begin to describe my wife Jeannie

After courageously coping with MS for over 20 years and a then a devastating diagnosis of cancer, Jeannie progressed to her well deserved eternal peace on 13th day of April 2005. Jean retired from the NB Liquor Corporation in 1992 where she also served as Recording Secretary for CUPE Local 963.

She was a former member of both Silver Falls United and Glen Falls United Churches where she got great pleasure out of teaching Sunday school for the younger children.

Jean enjoyed the simple pleasures in life - watching figure skating on TV, chatting with her mother on the phone on a Saturday afternoon, having her nails painted by her daughter Krista, enjoying a home-cooked meal made by her son Paul.

There is a lesson for all of us to learn from her about enjoying the simple things in life.

She IS my life. Without her I can not exist - so I cannot say goodbye and cannot "move on" as some would suggest.

Thank you...I do feel like I've made a lot of friends here. It's funny you mentioned this because I was just thinking the same thing this morning...how many wonderful people are represented on this site...they have passed on but they live on in our hearts and lives.

I wanted to take a few minutes to share who Craig was. He was the best friend that I had and best father I could have asked for, for our children. He loved life and was the most caring, thoughful person. He loved the Redskins who also happened to beat the Dallas Cowboys this past week and I know that he would have loved that game.

Craig loved his children more than life itself. He lives on in both of them with our daughter resembling him physically in many ways and sharing his love for dogs. Our son David is the spitting image of him and wears his feelings on his sleeves and is a people person as his father was.

I hold our children tight and pray that I am also holding Craig and making him know how much we love him and miss him and will always keep him with us. I would like to share some beautiful comments that our children have made regarding this incredible loss. Our 10 year old told me the other day that we lost Craig for a reason and we will one day know what that reason was. David says that his father is always with us now even when we he is in school, whereas before his dad would have to go to work. Hopefully this will give many of you some good feelings about our loved ones ALWAYS being with us.

Goodnight and God bless,

David says that his father is always with us now even when we he is in school, whereas before his dad would have to go to work.

How sweet! That is a very special way of looking at it. I will have to keep that in mind.