Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Tragic Accident

Ellyn

This last Sunday, just after midnight, my husband and I were coming home from work and were the only witnesses to a tragic fatal accident. One of the young men was ejected from the car. I covered him with a blanket, and stayed with him as his life slipped away. I want very much to speak with his family and let them know that their son was not alone when he died, but I don't want to intrude in their grief. I would hope that this might give them some comfort in this long agonizing grief process. I am having some trouble coping myself, this was very tramatic for me and I have a medical background. My nephew is the same age as the young man who died and I think I would like knowing that someone was there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject.

Thank you for listening.

E

I think it would be very comforting to the family of the young man who died if you did let them know he was not alone. I don't think you would be intruding. I think they would love to know that someone cared enough to be with him. Perhaps if you are not comfortable meeting them face to face, you could write them a letter. I hope this helps you find some peace.

I agree with Bebekat. I would certainly want to know and I'm sure they would find great comfort in knowing.

How terrible for you to have to witness such a tragedy. It would shake you to the core, that's for sure. How caring of you to be with him. He was lucky to have an "angel" with him as he left this world.

Good luck,

Shell

This is the first time I have replied to a post for quite a while. It isn't the same as it used to be. I hope I don't mess this up.

The reason I am writting is to tell you about a young man that I know of. He met the girl of his dreams while in the army. They married, and bought a house in his home town in Indiana. He had not yet been discharged from the service, so she moved into there new home and began setting up house. I don't know all of the details, but she was driving along a country road near their new home and she lost control. She did not die instantly. A stranger who had witnessed the accident called for help. He then held her hand as she died.

When I saw your post I remembered that her husband had written something about the stranger in her guest book on Legacy.com. I looked it up and I coppied a small part of it for you. Here it is:

JEN, I ALSO TRUELY BELEIVE THAT YOU SENT JACK OVER TO TELL US THAT YOU WERE NOT ALONE ON THAT DAY. IT BROUGHT ME SO MUCH COMFORT KNOWING THAT. HE GAVE ME HIS NAME AND NUMBER AND I WILL BE CONTACTING HIM SO WE CAN TALK AND BECOME FRIENDS.

I hope this helps. You truly are an angel. I hope you are doing well. It must have been a nightmare for both of you.

I want to thank all of you that responded to my message. The funeral for the young man was this last Saturday morning. I gathered all my strength and attended the service. I was not sure if I would have the opportunity to approach or speak with his family, but I needed to attend. It turned out to be a very good experience, both for myself and his family. I met the father just before the service began and while embracing him I told him my story, he hugged me tighter and thanked me, after the service I found myself in this hugh crowd, the church had been full, but suddenly, as if it was really meant to be, his mother was there and at the moment not speaking to anyone else. I introduced myself and told her I had been with her son the night he died and had stayed there with him and that he had not been alone. Once she took in what I said, there seemed to be a different look in her still sad eyes and we hugged and cried together and she asked me to give her a call so we could talk some more. I will do this later this week and I hope to meet with her.

The other good thing for me and attending the service was that they showed a slide show of this young mans life and that has given me some other mental pictures to view.

I am trying to think that I was not in the wrong place at the wrong time that night, but in the right place at just the right moment.

Thank you all again, it really helped me decide. E

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am also a witness of a tragic accident and I did post about it but I wanted to let you know that I share in your sorrow. I, too, was there for not 1, but 2 people passing and it is very upsetting when injuries from an accident take a life. Neither of them knew I was there, they were both unconscious; yet I suppose I was "supposed" to be there somehow as I don't usually take that particular road home from work...