Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Foreclosure on Family Home

ArM48

I know this is a random loss topic but I cannot cope with all that I have lost lately due to human deaths, pet deaths, and a break up. The icing on the cake was getting an eviction notice last night which stated that we needed to leave our home in 10 days. My grandfather bought this home 50 years ago.

When he passed away he didn't put the house in the will and my mom had to fight her brother's for it. They placed a new mortgage on the house and yadda yadda yadda, it was foreclosed on. I've lived here since I was a baby. Through everything else I've gone through lately, this home was all that I had left. It was my safe haven. The only place I found comfort in. I cannot even begin to explain my devastation and what this has done to me. I can't breathe. I can't eat. I can't think. I feel so alone and so lost.

Is there anyone else who has gone through this who is able to tell me their own experience and sadness?

• Like 1

My experience isn't the same as yours because I wasn't living in our family home at the time, but we had to sell the house my parents built to pay for my mom's dementia care...she'd lived in it for 59 years, it was built when I was a baby so I didn't know any other home other than it growing up, and all of my adult years, it was to that home I came back to visit.  The memories!  It was hard to see them destroy my mom's lifetime of work in her landscaping.  It was hard to see the changes they made...some I welcomed, but others felt like they ruined it...like when they painted the brick interior, that can't be undone, or took out the beautiful solid wood bookcase my dad built in.  

You are leaving the only home you ever knew and I know that has to be more than unsettling.  A home represents our sanctity, comfort.  I hope you find a place very soon, it won't carry all the memories with it and will feel alien at first, but eventually you'll realize that all of your memories are still in your heart, even as you lose people, pets, and the family house.  Home is in YOU.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers during this transition.

Over the next ten days, I'd also encourage you to take lots of pictures, of both the inside and outside of your home, as a way to preserve your memories. You might find these articles to be helpful as well:

• Like 1