Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Having Kitty euthanized this morning

kayc

I believe she is in kidney failure.  She has no meat on her bones, she was skinny to start with but not there's nothing but bones and fur.  She has a bad odor, her stools have changed, she's not happy, lost appetite, just not doing well.  I feel  this would be the kindest thing for her but it's so hard.  She's 25 and lived a good life with me, her earlier life was very hard, abandoned by people over and over again in a trailer court.  Here it's been Kitty heaven, but now she's not doing well.

Last night I put Kodie to bed and was about to turn out the light when Kitty came up and sat next to me and purred while I stroked her.  I knew it'd probably be the last time so I stayed up with her an hour while she got some quality time with me.  She's not a lap cat by any means and she chooses the time and it's not frequent, so I cherished that time with her.

Today I have to say goodbye, Kitty.  I don't know how I'm going to do this.  I hate it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kay, I'm so very sorry. Sometimes we just have to let them go. When Batman started going downhill, he would hide in various places and not come out when called. Then he started pooping next to the litter box instead of in it. I'm sure he was confused. I took him to the vet in the middle of the night as he was having trouble breathing and she said the kindest thing was to let him go. He was Ron's buddy. In the last photo I have of Ron(3 months before he died), they are together on the couch. So very sad.

Thinking of you.........

• Like 1

At first they told me she had hyperthyroidism, which is treatable.  I said she is so tired, she's done, she's not happy anymore, she's lost so much weight, she's vomiting, her stools are different, she doesn't have appetite.  She weighed less than 4 1/2 lbs, down from 9.  Then they told me she's jaundiced and has liver failure and kidneys shutting down.  I figured the kidneys.  It was time for her to have her rest.  I buried her next to Arlie.  I will order her stone later today or tomorrow.  

I had to clean out her litter and where she ate.  She had an accident in her carrier, I guess that's common.  I just feel so bad for her.  I'm glad we had our time together last night, it was our last.  I've been bawling all day, this is so hard.  She was demanding and cantankerous, but that was her way of surviving, I love her and always will.  She didn't want Easy Cheese this morning, that was confirmation that I was doing the right thing, it was time.

She purred the whole time and when the sedative kicked in her purring stopped and she fell over.  I just kept loving her.  I felt like stopping them but knew this was the kindest thing for her.  I'm glad for her sake that she's out of it.  I'm sure going to miss her.

• Like 2

I had a certain spoon I always dished her food out with because I'm allergic to fish and didn't want any contamination coming my way.  This morning that spoon broke.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday your memorial stone came and I placed it on your grave.  Little Kitty, your body lay next to your brother Arlie's, although I know neither of you really reside there.  I pray you have lots of Easy Cheese and your fears are all gone.  I hope you're purring like a cement mixer.  I love you and miss you, Kitty.

Kitty123008-3 Sm.jpg

Kitty 113012.JPG

• Like 5