Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Letting Go of Chinook the Ferret

Chinook

Hello All

It has been 12 years since my beloved ferret Chinook has passed and many of you are probably wondering why I am still here. I have been happy and sad over the years and sometimes feel guilty for being happy because my pets are gone parents and grandparents and uncles and aunts are all gone.

My next journey and perhaps a final step (yes a little late here) is finding a final resting place for the ashes of Chinook and Nikomi. We are a gay couple and Trump supporters meaning my siblings disowned me because I’m gay and my husband of 29 years has been shunned because he’s a Trump supporter. In short we are all alone. When we die Chinook’s ashes will be tossed in trash. We don’t want to put in ashes in backyard of fear of the ground being disturbed. I also want a place where I can visit. My husband laughed when I suggested a pet cemetery since we can’t afford a place for ourselves. We are starting to fight because our China cabinet is a morgue of urns and candles etc. I know he is right but at the same time I can’t bear to let go, I still have his cage in shed and some of his toys and blanket hid out of site. Any suggestions is appreciated, Thank yoy

• Like 1

I gave my dog's toys, etc. away when he died, I ended up going to a much smaller dog that needed smaller toys but his playmate needed some and she's 2 1/2 times his size, so that worked plus I gave some to my son's dogs.  I gave his food bowl (a special one that ekes out the food instead of their being able to gulp) to someone.

Wishing you well with the ashes, dang it is hard!

On 2/28/2024 at 5:42 AM, Chinook said:

I can’t bear to let go

And there is no time frame, keep them until you're ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. My husband wants to go to a preserve and spread his ashes.. hike somewhere where no development will pop up or people travel but the prospect of spreading his ashes causes me great grief. It’s hard. We have a new pet, Nugget she’s a lovable dog but I have a wall up not to love her with all my might like I did with Chinook. Life is a journey that never ends. Thank you listening 

IMG_1974.jpeg

• Like 1

I encourage you to open your heart up to your new pet, I went through this with Arlie and I felt slighted on his behalf when anyone said how cute Kodie (my new dog) was...eventually I realized it wasn't a slight to Arlie and I could love Kodie for who HE is.  I still love Arlie, I always will.  My relationship with Kodie doesn't detract from my relationship with Arlie and the things he brought to the table were unique and will forever be missed, just as what Kodie offers is unique to him.  

If you aren't ready to scatter the ashes, hold off.  There is no time frame.  Your husband needs to understand that you may not be as ready as he is and honor that.