Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Taking The Last Step

danslady

On Saturday, March 10,2007, I will pet the soft, sleek black head one final time. My beloved Border Collie, Katie, will be going across the Rainbow Bridge.

I am so full of grief and sadness. I have so much I want to say on here, but right now the words are just jumbled inside my brain. My poor baby's life is no longer a joy for her, and I must help her to regain her dignity. I am not sure I can do this! She has been my bestfriend for 15 years. I lost my mother six years ago, my husband 4 years ago, and through all the heartache and pain, she was beside me, nuzzling me when I felt all alone, and even licking my tears as they fell from my eyes. I read somewhere that I shouldn't let her see me cry during the final moments, but I cannot bear the thought of being away from her at that time, and I know she knows something is wrong now. I haven't been to bed yet, I have so precious little time left with her, and I want to spend as much as possible at her side. I hurt so badly. In 3 short days, the loving bond here on earth will be severed. I just don't know how I am going to deal with this.....[attachmentid=115]

post-2616-1173275990_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about Katie. Do you have someone that will be with you when you take Katie in? You need someone with you. I know how hard this is.

I lost my mom Dec.06 and that same night I had to put my best dog friend in the world to sleep. It was a total shock, we didn't realize he was so sick. And now tomorrow we are putting our old Golden Ret to sleep. This needed to be done months ago, but after losing my mom and my buddy Ripley, I just couldn't do it. I know the next few days are going to be sooo hard for both of us. You and Katie will be in my thoughts.

Dear Dan's Lady,

We're so very sorry to learn of your beloved Katie's failing health, and can only imagine how very difficult it is for you to face what lies ahead. We cannot change your circumstances, but we can assure you that you are not alone. You have found your way to one of the most caring, compassionate groups of animal lovers you will find anywhere, and we pledge our companionship and support to you throughout this difficult journey.

If you haven't already done so, please pay a visit to my Grief Healing Web site, and see especially these articles:

Am I Crazy to Feel So Sad about This?

Anticipatory Grief

Thinking It Through

Euthanasia: The Merciful Release

Blessing the Bridge

The Fourth Day

I know that you are making the most of the time you have left with Katie, even as you create the precious memories that will sustain you in the weeks and months ahead. Remember, too, that the bond you have with Katie is much stronger than death. Love does not die, and she will be with you forever in your heart.

Hi

I understand how you feel. i lost my wonderful spanky (beagle/corgi mix) in sept just 10 weeks after losing my mom. the loss is so hard. i think of him everyday. we did get a puppy 4 weeks ago (abuse case from shelter.) and i am slowly trying to love him. my 11 son to me "mom spanky would not want us to keep all that love inside of us and now share it with another one" i realized then that i should try and love again. my heart goes out to you. i work for a vet so i see this everyday, it never gets easier. they let me sit in the grass holding my spanky and the docter euthanized him outside in the beautiful sunshine. my prayers are with you .lori

I just want to add my support and sympathy to the very difficult situation you are now facing. Although we cannot(unfortunately!) take away your pain, we are here for you to listen to you whenever you need us. We have all lost beloved pets so we know the pain it causes, as well as the love and joy that a pet gives so freely to us. My heart goes out to you. As difficult a decision as this is for you, it definitely sounds like you are making the right decision for your dear Katie-the ultimate unselfish act. I wish you peace and healing as you travel this difficult grief journey ahead.

Hi Danslady,

I am very sorry for what you are going through, I just heard from a good friend that yesterday they put their beloved Brutus down... After ten years because of liver and kidney disease How heart brokening for you all to have to go through saying good bye to your pet loved ones.... I am so sorry and I will pray for all of you... Take care Shelley