Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hi / Support

4MBF

Hi, just a brief note of hi and thanks for this forum. I won't elaborate too much but basiclly I have a 11 1/2 yr old GS who is artritic, slow but ok. However she seems to have slipped down hill quickly this last wkend. The vet is coming out today to look at her.

I don't feel very optimistic about things right now and it is really hard. She's my best friend and soulmate, we are almost inseparable.

I will need all the support you can offer to help me with this journey I'm about to embark on.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, you have found your way to a very supportive and compassionate group of animal lovers, not unlike yourself. We are so very sorry for the reasons that brought you to us, but we welcome you with open arms, and we promise we will walk beside you as you face whatever lies ahead. You are not alone.

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your response. The vet was out today and said she was pretty sick and said that there is several possible causes. She's just very lethargic and some what disorientied. He took a blood sample and did some tests and called later with news that her liver and kidneys are ok. Through his physical exam as well as the blood work he did note that she is anemic or slightly anemic. Also he thinks she's retaining excessive liquid in her stomach and might have a stomach infection.

I think at this point we are just trying to narrow it down to what might be the problem. He has prescibed some meds to help with the infection and he whats to know how she's doing on Wed. and he will wait to look at her again until Thur if she doesn't get any worse.

It is really difficult and I have no idea what the immediate future has in store for us. I'm certainly scared, sad, heartbroken and all sorts of other feelings that probably don't need to be stated. I'm certain my best friend doesn't understand either and is possibly scared herself.

I'll just do the best I can and take it one step at a time, one day at a time.

Again thanks, Steve

Steve,

Just wanted to let you know, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I lost my 8 yr old Bernese Mountain dog Dec.7th, the same day I lost my mom.

It feels like I lost my 2 best friends. Then on Mar.8th, I had to put my old Golden Ret to sleep. It was long over-due, but we just couldn't part with another loved one. I am lucky, I still have a 2 yr old Gordon Setter at home, I feel sad for him, he keeps looking around for his buddies. I will keep your dog in my prayers and hope for good news. Take Care.

Hi Annie,

Thanks so much for your thoughts and support. It helps and I/we need it. Also, I am sorry for your loss, that amount of a loss all at once can't be easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet pet. I think you are right - she probably doesn't understand what's going on medically. But I'm sure she *does* understand how much she is loved and knows that you are doing the best for her. I fervently hope that the vet can find out what the problem is and treat it. Keep coming back here and let us know how you are both doing. ~STOO~

Hi Stoo

Thanks so much for your thoughts and support. Yes she is loved very much and I'm sure she's aware of that. Dogs are pretty intuitive and I'm sure she has learned to read me like I've learned to read her. I told her that I will fight for her and with her and try to beat this.

Per my vets request I called him earlier today with info on my dogs condition. Basiclly I told him that although she's hasn't improve much (my daughter thinks she's better) she hasn't gotten worse either. He felt then that it would be ok for him to wait until tomarrow as planned to come out again and look at her. He definately wants to investigate her anemic condition better.

We will just steadily work at this one step at a time and do the best we can to beat it.

Again thanks to you and the others for your thoughts and support, it helps.

Take care, Steve

Hi Steve,

I have read your posts this week and have wanted to reply, but I kept waiting to find those "magic" words of comfort that I know don't really exist. But I do want to let you know that I am adding my support and sympathy to the others here who have responded. How is your DDog doing today?

It definitely helps to write in and to read the other posts/responses on this board. I had to put down my precious girl dog, Tawny, 7 months ago even though she was only 1 1/2 years old. I started using this board after I got the devastating news that she had kidney failure, and although we tried to save her, it was too late, and we had to let her go. I found that one of the few comforts I found in those early days was writing and reading both on this board and emailing all my friends. But for me the old, tired adage, "time heals all wounds" pretty much held true. It didin't really completely heal it because I still think of her daily and feel sad over her loss and often will still cry then. BUT both the intensity of the pain and the amount of time spent crying over/feeling this awful pain have dimished with the passing of months. I also have her littermate, Tanner, still with us (he is now over 2 years old) as well as her cat brother, Scooter, who is now 7 years old. Finally I decided to get another puppy from the same doggie parents because they have proven to be such sweet, good, and precious companions. They are mini-daschund/corgi mixes. She is now almost 9 months old, and I named her Sweet Pea, which was my nickname for Tawny. Now everyone has a different opinion on when or if to get another pet after the loss of one so dear to you. I can say that it did help me although she did not replace Tawny. But I did find that for awhile, she was the only thing that could get me to smile or even laugh, and having to concentrate on her training-i.e. housebreaking etc.-although exhausting, was also good for me.

Okay, glad to see I didn't have much to say-LOL!

You and your DDog are in my thoughts and prayers.

Serl

To Marty, Annie, Stoo, avsqr dancer,and others who have had my dog "Montoya" and I in their thoughts and prayers, thankyou very much. It means a lot to know that you care.

The news from the vet isn't good though. She has a bleeding tumor on her spleen thus her weakness. He said we could do an emergency Op ASAP and for her strength and age she had about a 50/50 chance of pulling through it ok. However, he also said that it would depend on how far it has spread throughout her body.

I asked his gut level opinion of the situation and he said if she were his he would probably let her go with some dignity. Of course my daughter and I are devestated. But we have agreed with his opinion. She's had a good life and she dosen't seem to have the sparkle in her eye's anymore. As hard as it is for me I believe, she's probably ready to move on and it's time to let her go.

So either tomarrow or Sunday we are going to take her to a spot in the mountains west of where we live and let her go there. We've taken her there many times and she likes it there so I feel it would be the best way and place to let her go.

I am beside myself over this but I will be ok... in time. Thank you avsqr dancer for what you have shared it means a lot.

Marty, in time I may PM you with some brief questions if that's ok?

Once again thanks to all of you for your support.

I'm familiar with support groups because of another aspect of my life and I know "it takes one to understand one". Mutual experience makes all the difference in understanding.

I'll be in touch and I'll be around.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for our precious Montoya. Please continue them as she moves on to what is next for her spirit.

Take care, Steve

Edited by 4MBF

I am so sorry. I know how hard this will be.

My Bernese Mountain dog also had a tumor on his spleen but then we discovered it had spread to his liver too. Sounds similar to your dog.

Your plan to take her somewhere special and beautiful to let her go is such a nice idea. My thoughts will be with all of you.

Ah, Steve, I am sorry to hear this, but I also believe that you are making the right decision. When our vet told us Tawny's diagnosis, he also said that if it were his dog, he would put her down then to avoid anymore suffering. But he also told us that there was one treatment to try-IV feedings-and although I could tell he didn't have much hope that it would work, I had to try it, esp. cuz she was still so young. In the end, it did buy us another week with her-time for her to say her goodbyes, and time for us as well-and for her to also have one more good doggie week, but then her numbers shot up again. So watching for the signs that would show she was worsening, we ended up taking her to the vet to put her down before she suffered anymore needlessly. Although it was the hardest decision I've made in my life-even harder than letting my dad go by not allowing any extradionary measures for him-I know that we made the right decision.

I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and to pray for you and your daughter to have the strength to get through these difficult days ahead. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about Montoya; it will be a difficult time for you and your family. Your idea to take her to a special place is wonderful. I will be praying for all of you. Come back here as often as you need - we are here to share your grief and help in whatever ways we can. I have found the people here to be very caring and understanding, i'm sure you will too ~STOO~