Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Worldwide Candle Lighting

Held annually the second Sunday in December, this year December 9, The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting unites family and friends around the globe in lighting candles for one hour to honor and remember children who have died at any age from any cause. As candles are lit at 7 p.m. local time, hundreds of thousands of persons commemorate and honor children in a way that transcends all ethnic, cultural, religious, and political boundaries.

Further details here.

Most certainly you can do this privately. You are free to adapt any ritual you find and make it your own. See: Suggestions to Help Plan Memorial Services

See also the lovely holiday memorial candl-lighting ceremony by Sherry Williams, included in the body of my article: Including Your Absent Loved One in Family Celebrations. (Scroll down a bit and you will see it there, in a white box.)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All

When I first met the hospice director of our local hospice she shared with me the lighting of a candle she did the day each year that her mother died... It had the word mother on the candle as well... I thought what a wonderful way to remember your mother... Shelley

• 6 months later...
The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting

You are invited to join us this Sunday, December 14, 2008 along with other bereaved families, for The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting.

Visit The Compassionate Friends website to find a formal service near you, or light a candle in your home at 7 PM local time, knowing that you will be joined by hundreds of thousands of people around the world who are thinking about the children who have died at any age, from any cause, but continue to live on in the hearts of those who love them. Read more about this beautiful healing ceremony here: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/News_E...e_Lighting.aspx

A Remembrance Book will also be available during the event at TCF's USA national website.

The Worldwide Candle Lighting is held yearly, on the second Sunday in December.

You can read an interview with Patricia Loder, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends, here.