Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Should Be Getting Better, But....

A few words to on old song came into my head yesterday, but I couldn't name the song.

I asked some friends on a Chat Group for Senior Widowers and no one knew the song, but someone suggested that I try a Google Search.

I did that and found a site called "Jeans Music Blog" which surprised me because my dear wife's name is Jean.

That Blog was devoted to the music of Brian Hyland - a favorite of Jeannie and I back in the early 60's.

In fact, one of his hits "Ginny Come Lately" was our favorite. Of course, I changed the words to "Jeannie come lately" as I sang to her as we danced.

You can listen here if you want:

I tried to find the song and lyrics to "I should be getting better" on Google, but had no luck there.

So I went to the basement this afternoon and found my old Brian Hyland LP to listen to the song once again and I wrote down the words.

Although the song talks about a breakup, a death is much worse than a "breakup" . As the song says

"I should be finished crying. By now a single teardrop should be a lot.

I should be getting better baby, but I’m not. ....You know I’m not....No, I’m not."

Here are the rest of the words to that song:

I Should Be Getting Better (Udell-Geld) - As sung by Bryan Hyland

I cried the night you told me I’d have to live without you

And baby I’m still crying – I can’t go on without you

Each time we meet I break up, right on the spot.

I should be getting better baby, but I’m not.

I should be getting better, with every new tomorrow.

I shouldn’t miss your lovin’, I shouldn’t walk in sorrow.

But lonely nights in heartache, are all I’ve got.

I shouldn’t have to wonder, whose lips are kissing you.

I shouldn’t go on caring, but I confess I do.

I should believe it’s over. I shouldn’t go on trying.

I shouldn’t think about you – I should be finished crying.

By now a single teardrop should be a lot.

....You know I’m not....No, I’m not.

It's been almost three years now since my Jeannie died.

Does one ever get “better” or should we be happy just to be getting better?

Hi Walt,

It's been 2 1/2 years for me and I've learned to live without my wonderful husband at my side. I don't feel we'll get over them, just get used to them being gone and do our best to continue on with our lives. Those wonderful memories will be there always. I smile at the funny, silly things we've done and all our happy times. We just get used to it. Hang in there, Walt.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Edited by karenb

Walt,

Some things are left unfilled in our hearts because that person created their very own special spot inside of us. We will continue to feel the voids until we meet again.

Walt..I'm not sure if it ever gets may better.I think like everyone here we may learn to live with it a little better. Whenyou love that one person so deeply it is hard to ever live without them. For me it is one year since Bruce die and I have some good day's and some every bad day's but the good day's are becoming more.Take care of yourself Walt and know that I am thinking about you and hoping that tomorrow will be a better day. Gail :wub:

Hi WaltC, I love when you post something on this site. You take us with you back in time, and I can almost picture you with Jeannie dancing to the music. I hear some songs also that I can almost feel Larry next to me and go back to when he was here smiling, acting silly, and wish I was there again.

I don't have any idea of things getting better. Just knowing that I will not have the life we planned makes me think, maybe not. Maybe better at coping but thats about it for me. Take care of yourself Walt, don't be a stranger here okay? Deborah

Edited by LarrysGirl