Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Last Lecture

suzanne

This is a truly courageous man facing pancreatic cancer that will be aired tonight on ABC at 9:00PM. I have watched the video and is so moving but yet so difficult to watch. If he can have the strength he has, I guess we can as well. That I believe is his message to all of us and why he is still here for a message to each of us to value our life as hard as it is at times. My heart breaks as he tells of providing the net for his family as they will fall over the cliff he knows is to come. The very same one each of us has fallen over. I hope his words will not be in vain and be an inspiration for what our beloveds wish for us to give us strength to go on. Be it so diffuclt at times. Be sure you have a box of kleenex handy but if you are like me there is one in each room.

Suzanne

Suzanne & Wendy.. you both are better women than I! I read about this awesome man and I knew instantly.. I'm not in good enough shape to be watching that. I've prayed for him and his.. but I knew.. that I just wasn't ready for that yet.

But ... what a beautiful gift he has given. I hope to at least be able to read his lectures someday.... just not ready yet.

Suzanne, thank you for mentioning this here. This presentation is anything but maudlin or sad ~ Randy Pausch's message is uplifting and filled with hope, and I think it is something we all need to see.

His final lecture to his students, "How to Live Your Childhood Dreams," is about his life and the lessons he's learned. ABC News has put the lecture, which The Wall Street Journal called "the lecture of a lifetime," on its Web site, along with Diane Sawyer's Wednesday night interview with the Pausches. You can watch the TV program as well as the full lecture here, but you'll need to set aside about two hours to see it all: abcnews.go.com/GMA/PersonOfWeek/story?id=3633945&page=1

Edited by MartyT

Thanks for the links Marty. I will hope to watch them someday. From what I read I knew the lectures themselves weren't sad or maudlin. But I knew I would find this too moving for me right now.

But I know I will learn from this man .... later.

leeann

This pupil is ready and all I can say it WOW. This was the most moving interview of strength, courage and the ability to take what life throws your way I have ever seen. I felt what I know his wife is facing but she does it with such dignity all the while thinking I wish she didn't have to know what we all know and what she will be facing. I myself did not hold together as she has, maybe the nets he is buiding for his family will help break the fall. It's a long way down but someone with such a positive attitude facing death will somehow give his family strength. It was an honor to be able to share this family's heartache and courage and give us the ability to face the brick walls we all do in our own lives.

Suzanne

Both the ABC show and Dr. Pausch's lecture have hit me hard and given me hope. Suzanne, I felt the same emotions as I watched. But I think I got something more from it.

Ever since losing Bill I've been searching for meaning and a new purpose to guide my life. I've prayed every day for help in finding them. When Dr. Pausch talked about his dream of helping other people achieve their dreams, it came to me: that's why I'm still here. I'm meant to do that too.

It just feels right.

I work for a family owned business that had been passed down from a father to his 4 sons. In 2001 one of the sons, Les who I had worked the closest with at that time started experiencing back aches and other problems and soon found out he had pancreatic cancer. He refused any chemo or radiation as he decided since there was no cure he wanted to live out his remaining months in as little pain and suffering as possible. He was married with 2 young pre teen girls and a son who was 9. Even though he would not go through any medical treatments he did try special diets and things like coffee enemas etc figuring what did he have to lose. As the time came nearer and nearer to when we would lose Les he slowly became skin and bones...looking much like a skeleton. But each day right up to the last few weeks his wife would drive him to work and pick him up when he could no longer stand the pain or stay awake. He gave me such wonderful words of wisdom and taught me lessons that I remember to this day, he was an incredibly bright man. What I loved him for the most was, on his death bed he made me promise to quit smoking. I told him I promised him from the bottom of my heart that I would...just for him. Les passed away Sept 21st 2001 and I quit smoking Feb. 27th 2002 just 5 months since we lost him. Les you were a wonderful inspiration in my life and I miss you dearly and I am a better person for knowing you, may God Bless You.

Love,

Wendy :wub:

You may be interested in exploring Randy Pausch's Web site; it's filled with fascinating details about this amazing man, with links to his lectures and other interesting pages, including a "day-to-day update" on his health status. You'll find it here (and be sure to give it time to load): http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

Thanks for that link Marty. I was able to read some there. I don't know why I can't watch it.. just difficult for me for what ever reason, but reading wasn't so bad. And yeah I've learned some already from him.

I kinda wanna buy the book.

leeann