Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Son Is Letting Drug People Into His Apartment

karenb

Hi Guys,

I've not been around too much lately. I need to vent about my son. You know he has schizophrenia, mildly but there, and an apartment, part-time job, etc. I noticed his voice mail full for a long time. Went to Bellingham last week, met the caseworker outside the apartment to find out what's what. He's been letting them in. He doesn't do drugs but when you have this illness you don't have the strength to not let these predators in. I took his cell phone back, gave him calling cards. There was an incident over the week-end where the police were called, 11 peopls came out of the unit, 4-5 with warrants, 3 were "trespassed" by Dan, 1 arrested. I called the officer and he told me the whole story. Dan says he's "sort of" afraid of these people. I have the phone now and the dealer, Kim, is stupid....has many contacts with numbers and even text messaging in it. I'll give it to the police with a copy of all the calls she made over a month - 645 calls! I answer the phone when it rings saying, "this line and the associated residence are being monitored for illegal drug traffic. If you're smart and don't want to do jail time, don't call again and don't go near the residence." I am in the process of contacting other mental health professionals, along with our current wonderful caseworker, in case he's evicted for having drug activity in his unit. I'll be going back up again on Saturday, barring snow, and try to get him to stay with me just over the week-end. He has a phone card but I need to bring him a "go phone" for the time being. I know I'm rambling but I haven't slept too much here lately, I'm terribly worried they may retaliate (even though the police don't think so) - they have my phone number as well. It really is horrible and I thank you for letting me vent. I've watched over Dan and his illness for 30 years - I guess I'm just tired right now. Thanks, you guys, for your friendship. I sure wish my husband was here to help me.

Your friend, Karen :wacko:

Guest Gamer205

I'm Sorry your haveing to go threw this,I just wanted to tell you that and you know I wish you the best and hope things turn out fine,

Thanks so much, Robert.....I have faith and I know whatever happens will be His will, but prayer sure doesn't hurt to maybe change his will? Who knows. Miracles happen.

Your friend, Karen :wub:

Guest Gamer205

I sure hope everything works out ok,And Yeah your right Prayers don't hurt a thing and I'll be praying about it,

Sometimes things just seem so hard to figure out or understand We just have to hold on and have faith that God is in control and that We just have to hope for the best and leave it in God's hands,

I sure wish you the best.

Gamer205-Robert Fraley :D

Not only do I not belive prayers hurt but I think prayers can help change things so heres hopeing for the best.

Thank you, my friend, for your prayers and words.

Karen :wub:

Robert, you talked about having trouble with the site. I haven't found any, but you know Marty monitors this site so well that she probably saw your post. If you don't hear from her on this, you might email or get in touch with her on it. She's an amazing lady! You just have a really good evening, my friend. I think you're wonderful.

Karen,

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I think I asked you this once and forgive me if I don't remember what you answered, but is there any way to get him to move to the town you live in? That way you could control where he lives and keep a closer eye on the situation. You wouldn't have to be so far away from it, as that adds more worry, just wondering about what's happening. Hope it all turns out alright. Take care of yourself, you're very special to us here.

Hugs,

Shell

Karen my friend,

I have not been posting too much lately, been dealing with a lot. I saw your post and just had to let you know that I am so sorry you are going through this again. I will be keeping you and Dan in my thoughts and prayers as always.

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

I am trying to get him closer, but when you work within the "system" it takes some doing. I am getting responses from my emails to various mental heal professionals. Housing is the critical issue, and he may not want to leave Bellingham where he's comfortable - especially with our wonderful caseworker up there. I certainly am trying everything I know to do. Thanks for your concern. It helps to talk about it.

Karen, if having your son move out of town isn't a workable option - maybe you and his caseworker could find him another apartment and get him moved into it without the drug people finding out his new address.

I pray that you and your son will have divine help to come through this situation.

He is on what's called a Section 8 apartment subsidy, which helps pay a portion of the rent. If he allows this to continue he will lose this subsidy, I don't know how I can pay for the rent as I'm living on my husband's social security benefits. There aren't that many apartments available that work with Section 8 subsidy. It's a difficult thing to find. Believe me, all I can count on, along with my own research on it, is God's help. I hope he wants to help us.

Karen :wacko:

Karen: I'm sorry you have to go thru more of this . You have enough to cope with in your changed life. I hope I can read soon that his situation has been resolved . We're holding you in our arms.

DoubleJo

Karen,

I know you are doing everything you can and I hope my questions about him moving didn't insult you. I didn't mean it in that way at all, it was just a thought. It is such a difficult situation with everything that's involved and I so hope you get some kind of help with it. We're all thinking of you.

Hugs,

Shell

Shell,

No, of course, I'm not insulted at all. It's what the caseworker, my daughter, and I feel, too. I'm in contact with other mental health professionals to see what might be out there as far as housing, if he gets evicted. He has a 10-day comply or vacate notice from the apt. management. Housing is next to impossible under a Section 8 program and these predatory drug people just follow the mentally ill people wherever they go. When you've been around this situation, and I have for many years, you find that because of the disease these people aren't strong enough to say, NO, to letting the druggies into their apartments. They may not do the drugs, but they just let them in and not necessarily because they're lonely, they're just ill. Thanks for all you guys' support.

Karen :wacko:

Karen,

That's so sad and such a terrible thing to have to deal with. It's so disgusting how people use people who are "weaker" than they are. I hope things work out and you get some kind of help. You and your son will be in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Shell

Karen - I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time of it. Schizophrenia is such a challenging illness to deal with - I can emphasize as my mother suffers with this.

You're right about unscrupulous people taking advantage. We have a constant problem with electricity/gas suppliers tricking my mother into changing over to them. These people are unbelieveable taking advantage in that way.

I hope that this is quickly resolved for you and your son. Please do make sure that you get help and support with all of this. We all wish you the very best and have you and your son in our thoughts.

Karen, sorry about not posting sooner, I am very familiar with that situation seeing my friend years ago lose his housing because of drug use, sounds like its spiraling, and does his case manager get involved? You are right about saying "no" we tend to let the wrong crowd in but eventually we have to realize if we choose not to help ourselves no one will. Been there, done it, at a great cost. Hope today is better

William

William,

My eyes are at half mast for weeks now. I am in contact with the police, gave them the cell that holds 645 calls in one month from a dealer (she took it from Dan - I'm told they send the women in first) close contact almost daily with the caseworker, close contact with my son trying to make him understand that the police are monitoring his apartment and his phone and that there's no way out for him unless he disassociates himself with them - he might go to jail himself if he continues. I've called some of the numbers and it's disgusting what I hear and they hang up right away. I think they have my phone number, and I'll change it if I see the need. The last two weeks the story is long and I'm so tired. I've watched over him from the beginning, 30 years ago, and I will continue to do so until the day I die.

I've been in contact with a schizophrenia forum and it's so widespread what these predators do to our mentally ill people. No feeling for anything but drugs. People like my Danny have had such little controls over their lives, they try to get that control anywhere - it's not lonliness, it's just they're not strong enough to say, "No."

Thanks, William, for letting me vent. The struggle never seems to go away, and I fully know that you understand that struggle.

I pray this may come out okay.

Your friend, Karen

Karen, I dont know what to say other than its very exhausting, I know most druggies have a mental illness themselves and I seen them hustle the drugs just to supply their needs, and when Danny and others get in the funk they don't really care about who's who. I hope it doesnt get to the poin of jail then its the hospital next, Its ok to vent, I wish I was here sooner though, I miss you!

love,

William

Bless your heart, William, I'm going to bed early tonight. Thanks so much for your friendship. I have faith....all will be fine...Good Lord willing. I just need some sleep to get strenth to keep on fighting.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)