Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Finding Myself

kath

Hello, friends.

I am embarking on a new venture...one that has been in my heart for many years. I've elected to rent a table at a craft show next weekend. I'm nervous and desperate. (I need the money!) I've made some copies of my artwork that I'll mat and I have done some sewing projects. My art has always been for my eyes only. It was my way to escape without using chemicals. While its been highly personal, I also look back and feel like I didn't do the drawings. By getting totally into each piece, it was as if something took over my pencil and created this amazing work. Bob was always my best critic because he would give me honest feedback. I always felt I did better by trying to live up to his expectations. Without him here to give me advice, its a little nerve racking. I wish more than ever he were here. I'm shocked I've been able to devote this much energy to one thing, so it must be the right thing to do. I guess I just need your well wishes and encouragement. Thanks for listening.

Kath

Well, you have my best wishes. I'd say break a leg but I think that is only for acting. I'm sure you will do well, but don't get too discouraged if it's not as good as you think because with the economy the way it is a lot of people have cut back on this type of thing. Just hang in there and if it is meant to be it will come to you. Maybe you'll get new ideas and make new friends also, so that may be God's purpose in this as well. Let us know how it goes.

Kath - I think this is the absolutely best thing you can do! Your creativity is flowing, and alive. Hopefully this will be a blessing for you, and a source of income, too. I'm glad you're going for it.

A short story - my husband and I opened a deli 8 years ago, now I'm running it alone. But for the past 8 years as well, I've been a correspondent for the Virginian Pilot - doing food stories. When Joe got sick, I thought I would never be able to write again. But for a hiatus of a couple of weeks, the words have flowed. It's a way to talk about my past, tell my story, open my heart to my readers. Do you know what I mean? What you're doing, and I'm doing, is a kind of escape, but a really good one.

Let us know how it goes - I'll be crossing my fingers for you! Peace, Marsha

Hi Kath,

I think it is wonderful that you are going to display and show your art. Unlike you I was not able to do any type of art before Jimmy died. After he died I started to paint and draw as an escape, I feel it was his gift to me since I had always wanted to. Friends and family have told me I should try to sell it but I have been too chicken. I wish you all the best next weekend. Please let us know how you do.

Hugs, :wub:

Corinne

Hi, Friends.

Here is the update on the craft show today. Some very important things happened...I had a goal set for what to make and worked day and night to meet this goal. This is the first time I've been able to keep that focus since Bob passed away 18 months ago. I had lots of compliments from nearly everyone that passed my table. It brought smiles to a lot of faces and compliments on a job well done. (I needed that - one of those things I don't get a lot of from myself.) Bob was the inspiration. I made jean aprons from the backside of old jeans and embellished them with fun fabrics. I used Bob's jeans last Christmas for aprons for all my sisters. It kept his memory alive and gave them "permission" to say his name. (I always thought he had the cutest butt.) It was my mom that invited me to make more for the craft show. I was able to spend the day together with her. (She is quite the salesperson..who knew?) It has been my dream for many years to do something like this. It was fun and I think I'll do more in the future. I made money. There weren't a lot of people in attendance so I felt I did really well considering the turnout and the economy. I repeat, I had fun. That doesn't happen every day! Thank you so much for your thoughts and well wishes!

Love,

Kath

YAYYY FOR KATH!!!!!! I am so happy for you, this is terrific news!! We all need something to look forward to, to work at when we feel up to it. This is so good that you had a FUN and successful day and had a great time with your Mom and learned something new about her too! Sounds like the start of a wonderful business partnership, with her encouragement, salesmanship, ideas and your talents and abilities. I am looking forward to hearing more good news from you. And thanks for the laugh about Bobś cute butt. My wife used to say the same thing,... much to my embarrassment when we happened to be out in public!

Kath - that's absolutely great!! What a big step for you - and now that you've done it, you can do it again. Isn't is great to get reinforcement from people who like your work? I'm very happy it worked out so well - I was wanting to PM you, but I didn't want to bug you. Glad you posted, Hugs, Marsha

Fred, I loved your cheer! I keep reading it over and over and it gives me a chuckle each time. How I needed that. Thank you!

Marsha, thank you for thinking of me. I feel like I've run a marathon. Sleep was not a priority and it caught up with me today. The next show will be easier because I have a pretty good inventory built up and kept notes on what people suggested. (All those years in small business paid off!) I have a good dose of confidence and it should help going into the new week. I even have a job interview on Wednesday. Right in the thick of sewing, I was called in for a typing test and passed. This could be a new beginning in many ways!