Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Special Gifts

Chai

I think the topic of special gifts can apply to everyone here, because everyone feels like their loved ones gave them so much. :) These people helped to make us who we are, and they continue to influence our living after them.

I was wondering if people would like to share special gifts they received from their loved ones; something that was given to you especially by your loved one, no matter if they passed it on intending that you keep it in memory of them, or not. I think the gifts our loved ones gave us are manyfold, but I suppose by 'special' I mean, something that especially stands out to you, that you find particularly heartwarming, or for those whose loved one was a patient of a terminal illness, perhaps something purposefully given you by that person before they passed.

It would be heartwarming - though, also saddenning - to share this love that we shared and still share with our loved ones. So I just thought, maybe people would want to share...

I would like to share my joy and sadness over a last message from my dad. Although I was not there when he passed, the healer woman who was there to ease his passing and speak with him did a recording each for my grandmother and me, and he recorded messages personalized for each of us. After weeks of waiting, I finally got the CD the other day and was able to listen to it. It is so soothing to hear his voice again, but heart-crushing, too. There is so much love and tenderness in his voice, even just talking about the recording brings me to tears.

So, maybe this topic is a little sensitive, a little private, these special gifts...but...I thought I'd dip my toe into the water anyway... :blush: Anyone?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Tom's most special gift to me was his unconditional love. Like the old song says, he made my heart go pitter-pat. The second most important thing was his humor.

One of the best things he did for our family and himself was to go with each one, one on one and talk with them about how he felt about them and what he wanted in life for them. He didn't feel he could do the video thing which would have been nice down the line so they could see and hear him, but the important thing was he let each one know how special they were to him. I know this was very special to my one son-in-law especially because they did not get off on the right foot. My daughter had gotten pregnant and he denied it at first but once B. got here there was no denying it. The first time Philip came to the house, Tom left. At the end they were very good friends and he knew that his daughter would be well taken care of.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Chai,

What a treasure...to have a recording of your dad. That is something I wish I had, something with my mom's voice on it. I know there are videos but haven't been able to watch any yet.

I think the one thing that stands out in my mind and I might have posted this a while ago... I have collected snowglobes my entire life, my mom always gave me one for Xmas. She died on Dec.7th, and a few weeks later a snowglobe was delivered to my house...it was from my mom, she had ordered it before she died. That snowglobe I keep out all year, on my nightstand.

The most special gift I ever received from Steve was not a tangible one. Many years ago I had surprised my husband with a brand new motorcycle that he wanted badly, I will not go into the full story as alot have heard this already. But the gift I received was the look of surprise, the tears of joy, of love, the excitement and the look of non belief on his face that I would do that for him. I will never forget that look and it made me the happiest woman alive that I could to that for him...make him that happy, that night will always be a special memory and I wish I had the opportunity to do something that special for him again. I get more joy out of giving than receiving and that night was one of the happiest nights of my life.

Love,

Wendy

Thank you all for sharing! It makes me teary and smiling to read of your wonderful gifts and love shared with your loved ones.

:) Thanks for making me glad I started this topic, guys! I wasn't sure at first, but now I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Memories are, of course, gifts to us from our loved ones.

The tiniest thing remembered can set me into crying...but at the same time, I'm so glad that I have these memories, to cherish and to go over again and again.

Also, I think the special places we have that we associate with our loved ones are gifts. And I have gained a lot of friends - my dad's friends, some I never even knew before the memorial. And, of course, all of you, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Chai,

Thank you for starting this string, you really have many great ideas and don't be afraid to share.

The greatest gift that my mom gave me was all the time that she spent with my daughter teaching her to draw, paint, and photograph. She is now using that talent to help underprivileged children with art therapy. She loved to garden and my home is surrounded with natures little treasures.

My father's gift was his unconditional love and attention to detail. As we cleaned up his apartment, I found my baby spoon from 49 years ago and a card addressed to me and my husband. It was for our 25th anniversary 45 days after he passed. It is still on my night stand. His love of the water is shared with my entire family and everytime we go out on his sail boat that he gave to us 2 years ago, I will know that he will be in that place with us.

LOL

Patti

Dear Chai,

I had to think a long time about this because some of the really special things Bob gave me were lost since he died. So, I got pretty sad thinking about those things again. But there is one thing, that I wear everyday, that is really special to me. Bob went to Israel a few years ago. He was gone 10 days. I couldn't wait for him to come home. 10 days felt like an eternity. It was the longest we'd been apart and he was so far away. I was a wreck the whole time he was gone.

On his trip, he visited the church built over the grotto where the angel appeared to Mary telling her she would bear the son of God. Bob brought me back a gold necklace with a charm of the Mother and Child on it. Having Bob's child, was something I wanted for 17 years before I became pregnant. To be a mom, has been my greatest gift. The necklace, Bob's thoughtfulness and the memory of him being in such a special place captured my deepest joy and takes on more meaning for me every day.

Hi All,

The special gifts I received from my loved ones are: My mom gave me the sense to treat all people special no matter who they are... My mom was the greatest at that.. She gave everyone a special blessing no matter if that person did something bad or good to her...She always believed in the good in people and I have always believed that way too.. From my dad : He gave me determination and the will to keep going, I try and do that but since they died it has been a little harder to keep that gift going sometimes.. Take care Shelley

Dear Chai:

Alex gave me many things and none of them were material. For one - he gave me his patience. I have never met anyone that was more patient than Alex. I also learned a great deal from Alex. Not to expect too much from anyone. Everyone is an individual and you cannot make them into what you want. Never was envious or jealous. He lived for himself and (me) and did not worry what other people had. Now it might sound that he was a perfect man, but not at all. He was intense and stubborn. Could not bug him to do things. The more I bugged him - the less he would do. Right now I would take the less.

I know he would be very proud of me in what I have accomplished since his passing. How I was able to clean out all of his stuff that he accumulated through the years (except his clothes). Took care of all the paperwork (insurance, taxes, etc). We had two cars. I donated one. Also, I hired a contractor to rennovate my bathroom. The list goes on.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne