Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Off Topic, Here Goes!

Ok, guys, so it seems we're all resting on our couches or where ever, because it's been real quiet here. I'm judging a chilli cookoff tomorrow - having done this before, I'll take my beano beforehand! My question to all of you is your secret ingredient for your world famous chilli. I'll go first. A pinch of cumin, get the meat well browned with onions and garlic,, before I put in the tomatoes and beans, and lots of hot peppers. Anyone next?? Hugs, Marsha

Marsha:

I have been cooking in chili cook-offs since the 1980's with my father. If you go to www.chilicookoff.com you will find the past world champions recipes on line for ICS(international Chili Society). I have qualified many a times and made the final table against 187-200 cooks at the wolrd. Are you judging chili for the competition and making peoples choice chili or what are you judging? My husband and I, this last October won peoples choice at one day of the three day event in Las vegas. We also won showmanship. My husband died JAn 6 2009. Two ctobers ago we won third in Salsa at the world against 145 contestants. For your peoples choice use sausage, hamburger, Cumin, garlic onions and We used 10 different types of peppers for the flavor and heat. Definately use Gebharts chili powder for flavor and cayene pepper. put in your peppers right before you start serving it will give you flavor and you will need to add on a regular basis because they break down easily. Where are you From? I'm in California. good luck.

Mary Nicoll

Sorry, Marsha.

I can't help you. My chili fixins' come out of a bag :blush: Good luck to you, though!

Back from the judging - it was fun, and I'm glad I was there. I have to say, there were some strange concoctions out there! Mary, I bow to the master, and I'll take your advice for my next batch. I just have to add something - again off topic - I was feeling very down this morning, and my intuition proved right. Today was the day a year ago when Joe went to the doctor, had blood tests taken, and found out that his liver was compromised. Today is the day our year from hell started. Once I realized it, at least I knew what I was feeling. It'll be ok. Love to you all, Marsha

Teny - I traveled to Greece with 3 friends when I was 25 (a pretty long time ago!) I absolutely loved the country, the people, and most of all, the food! We would sit at a taverna (right spelling?) and have local wine, plates of wonderful cheese, olives, fish - you've brought back wonderful memories. Thanks, Teny! Love, Marsha

So this isn't Texan Chile I take it, being as it has beans? I make Chile Con Carne, it's good, but my Texas friend said no good Texan would ever make it with beans, she uses only meat. I LIKE the beans, I even add carrots and celery so I could get more veggies down my family, none of them minded!

Oh, Kay, you're so great! This particular challenge was open to all and everything. We had vegetarian chilli, we had venison chilli, we had chicken, beef, sirloin, with and without beans - everything under the sun. I have to say, though, some were a little out there. I'm sure any Texan in his or her right mind would have been appalled! But ot's so much fun being a judge - I've done this half a dozen times before and I was glad I did it now, it got me out of my "cave". Now I'm angling to be a judge for the Chowder cookoff in two weeks! Hey, an afternoon out, free food, get to chat people up, and all the beer you can drink (although I don't drink beer, but it's the thought).