Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Another Sad Day!

I think it was Kay who said to me a while back that this experience gives you the gift of empathy.

I never particularly loved MJ or FF yet I felt such sadness upon hearing the news. Sad that their lives were cut short, sad that they had to suffer during their lives, sad for the people who loved them and who will be embarking upon this unwanted journey that we are all on now.

xx

Boo,

I so agree with you (as always). My heart really goes out to thier families and friends. I felt so sad for Ryan, she finally agreed to get married and she passed before they could.But, I have to tell you I'm feeling something I've never felt before in this type of situation. I am so annoyed when I heard my coworker say "My heart is breaking" I so bad wanted to say "Shut Up, you don't know that man nor is your heart breaking. She has no clue what it feels like to really have your heart over losing someone you love. I have to tell you I am quite surprised at my reaction to her feelings, that's not the way I am or not the way I was before....

Love

Phyllis

That's for sure. At one time I would have been more interested in the story or "hype." Today, all I could think of was their families, children, parents, friends, etc. I even had hoped they would find a place like this, where they could be anonymous, safe and cared for.

I don't know why, but your post made me smile. Maybe because I recognize my own reaction to things that happen these days. I find myself openly laughing at people when they complain about petty problems. Which is awful. And RUDE! And so utterly un-British ;)

I am so annoyed when I heard my coworker say "My heart is breaking" I so bad wanted to say "Shut Up, you don't know that man nor is your heart breaking. She has no clue what it feels like to really have your heart over losing someone you love. I have to tell you I am quite surprised at my reaction to her feelings, that's not the way I am or not the way I was before....

From the perspective that is mine: My husband worked with Michael and McMahon. My husband actually shot "Moonwalker" and his friend produced "Thriller" (George Folsey, Jr.). (Fawcett was a heart breaker.)

I'll say this.

These people have families. I wasn't surprised by their deaths because I'm just so sensitive to death right now, but currently there are actual jokes going around about Jackson and his death. If any of you receive these things via email. Please, out of respect for his family, delete them. I can assure you, none are true.

Thanks, Mel

(P.S. Honey, you wouldn't believe this crap.)

Wish my husband was here....

Mel, I have been inundated with emails and texts - jokes about MJ especially. I have to say that I found them so untasteful ... I guess we can't expect anything better from people who have never gone through what we are going through? But, I have been deleting them all, in fact, I stopped even reading them because they made my stomach churn actually. I really hope that their families never get sight of any of these "jokes" because they just aren't funny - at ALL.

Hugs (p.s. it was good to see your name on the Board again xx)

M.J. and F.F. have lived so long in the glare of public eye and people do feel like they know them. And so they grieve.

But like Boo, I too get irritated listening to people go on and on about really petty, petty problems. And people who think their "hearts are breaking", when really they are so lucky not to know what that really feels like or means. Yes, they know the celebrity from the media, but they don't know the loss of a person who totally gives their life meaning and joy and companionship.

But of course they will. We all do. Death happens to us all.

Be in the now, and love all the special moments that you share with friends and family.

VAlley

I admit that people who say their "hearts are breaking" when they hear a celebrity has died can sound crazy or annoying to us who are mourning the deaths of family members, pets or close friends. But that doesn't mean these people aren't feeling real grief.

When someone famous dies, even if you never really knew him or her you can feel genuine personal loss if:

-- You loved their work and/or it has played an important role for you. For example, I've always been a huge Beatles fan. I never met any of them. But I cried for days when George died and John was killed, for their families and because they'd never delight us with more new music again.

-- You associate them with happy events in your own life. If being fans of a sports team brought you and your spouse together and you've made many happy memories going to games together or watching them on TV, when one of the team's stars dies, it's like a little part of your past has died too.

-- You met the celebrity briefly and it was a positive experience, like (for instance) going to a book signing by a favorite author, finding out he or she is a cool person, and chatting with them about something you have in common.

Since death has touched me so closely, I feel sadness anytime I hear news of anyone's death, no matter whose, because I know how much sorrow their passing is creating for those left behind.