Grief Healing Discussion Groups

2nd Year Anniversary, Getting Fired

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Hi again..2d year anniversary of Pat's death, ...I passed the 3d year wedding anniversary on July 8th...our big Puppy dyed on the 6th & I found the strength to haul her 120 body to the Curb...alone. Pat's Pup...Nikki died on April 20th...& Pat's Dad on May 30th.

But I found a Job & began on7/2/2009...& I was very proud of my work again...my commission statements were covered up with exclamation points... great newest salesperson on the floor...I had one bad week & they fired me on Monday...

I walked out proud & true...I did not cry..shook hands all the way aroud...my shoulders were squared...I did call my Mom & cry.

Where to now?

Oh Vickie, I'm so, so sorry :( How awful for you :( Keep your head held high, my dear ~ you are so much better than that. I don't know where you'll go next, either, but I'm glad you came here first. We are here to catch you when you fall, and help you stand up straight again.

Dear Vickie,

I am so very sorry for everything you have gone through, I can not tell you where you are going but know that this web family will be there with you and will help you as you continue what ever journey it might be that you are on... You are in my prayers and please know that you are special to us... Shelley

Vickie:

This is the first posting of yours I have read, and what a terribly trying time for you. It sounds to me like you have the strength to get through it. I will be thinking of you.

Korina

Vickie, I'm so sorry. It seem that when we are at our lowest, we just get hit with more and more and more stuff to deal with. Work is a necessity because it pays our bills and fills our days. You're obviously a hard worker ... get your CV (resume) out there - some one will grab you up ... perhaps Sales is a little too cut-throat for you? I know it would be for me.

Keep your head up high. You have come this far, you have suffered these losses and still survive. Be still. You will survive this.

Thinking of you.

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Thanks everyone for writing...the last time I got fired was 10 Years ago, I deserved it that time, but I had Pat's emotional & financial support to pull me through. My family & friends are at a loss as to what to say to me. They don't understand the pain of losing Pat, or getting fired at age 54 when the economy is crashing. I feel at an all time low, like they view me as a loser, bad luck following me in a black cloud over my head.

It is unfortunate when you most need that support...it is so hard to come by. I think their biggest fear is I might ask to borrow money. At one time I had a full & happy life, not a lot of money, but enough to pay my bills, a house full of animals, love, & Pat. Simple pleasures, cooking a meal, coffee in the morning with Pat, talking about our work day in the evening, sharing our books. Looking forward to our trips up North...we always went to his cabin in August to get out of the Phoenix heat. Now I feel trapped..It is so hot, I must find a Job, our dogs are panting on the floor, the AC is set way high to save money. My hair is falling out from stress. Pretty soon I'll be typing away to you, bald as an Easter Egg!

On a practical note on job hunting in Phoenix, it is an Employers market, & they all want experience. My experience is Sales, though I have some computer skills. Even a receptionist job they want experience. I'm reluctant to take another sales job, the only thing booming in that now is Car Sales, I'm too old to show cars on a car lot at 115 degrees. Even a housekeeping job, they want experience.

All suggestions are appreciated...if any of you live in Phoenix & have any leads please let me know.

Vickie,

Like any loss, this one will bring up all the rest, so I just want to remind you to breathe; slowly, deeply, again and again. I'm near your age and was devastated at losing my job after Bob died. What a blow, though I so needed it! I often thought that if I worked for me, I'd have fired me also. As scary as it was, it was the absolute best thing that ever happened to me. From your telling, I would guess that the decision to let you go was more of a result of the economy than you having a bad month.

I was out of work for over a year before getting a really low-paying job that I loved. Within three months a more lucrative offer came in that I accepted. My only advice is, during this time off, educate yourself any way you can on energy efficient technologies. We need qualified sales people in LED lighting at my company. While we are anticipating tremendous growth, it will probably begin in Europe as their laws are more progressive than ours in mandating better methods that will save energy. It's a huge industry and bound to grow under Obama's eyes. If you can sell lighting, you'll have a distinct edge in learning the technology. The web has an endless source of information on the subject.

Good luck to you. Don't give up. I am proof that doors don't shut without others opening. This could be the best thing that has happened to you.

Kath

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Thank you Kath. They fired me for ONE Bad Week of Sales, my former job was in the newspaper on Wednesday, they replaced me. You see they had a draw at this store, so my 1 bad week cost them money to have me there.

Regarding lighting, I actually worked 7 years selling fixtures years ago. Managed a branch store in Scottsdale for a while. We did custom & semi custom whole house lighting orders for contractors & their home buyers. Really enjoyed it, kind of like selling jewelry for the House, I worked for the elite company that carried high end unusual fixtures, & we did a lot of business with decorators & designers. I did Mark & Lisa Gastineau's house, Robin Yount's house, & Tom Chauncey's Arabian horse stables. Tom Chauncey's wife was 1 of Nancy Reagan's best friends.

I don't know which door to knock on at this point, perhaps I need to start banging on doors. I was thinking this morning of doing something different, unsales related, like working for a non profit organization...the question is doing what? I really enjoy people, & the idea of being in a cubicle staring at a PC all day makes me insane....or being tied to a phone headset. I like the idea of helping people..

I better start looking at today's postings on CL. Thanks for your input, Kath!

Vickie,

I am so sorry for your news...but I am also so proud of you for how you took it! I know it's hard to believe when you're going through it and can't see it (it's called walking in faith), but sometimes one door has to close in order for another to open...maybe it's just the nudging for you to make way for a much better job with much kinder people!

In my own life, that has been the case...when I learned that (my ex now) John was cheating on me (again) and he abandoned me, I knew in my mind that God would go through it with me and eventually I'd heal and get over him...but in my heart it felt like total heartbreak and it felt like I'd never live through it! I cried through the holidays but little by little I got through it. Today I am with someone who treats me like a queen and the relationship is so much more than I ever could have had with John. Would I have ever known this Love if John hadn't dumped me and ripped my heart out? No! I'd still be with him, still "settling" for something so inadequate...as an aside, John's tried to get me back recently...I told him I have someone new and I'm happy. Maybe this will be the case with you...perhaps you'll get a wonderful new job and maybe someday the old one will wish they had you back, but you'll have moved on to better things. Just remember, our best IS good enough and don't fault yourself, you did your best.

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Kay,

I know you are a strong believer, & so am I. I prayed daily & nightly that the Lord would bless my work, my Customers, & my Company. I prayed at the table where I waited for my next opportunity to sell something. I prayed & thanked God for my lunch sandwhich the day I was fired...still holding my sandwhich in my hand...I'd taken 2 bites...not to miss an opportunity to sell something.

I have to think that the Lord of the Heavens loves me & I will be welcome in the Temple when I arrive...this, too shall pass...if not now when...this I don't know. Today has been spent on the internet looking for Work & making phone Calls.

I may not be qualified for being a waitress at the Olive Garden...by the looks of my phone calls today.