Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Getting Back To The Real World

STARKISS

Hi All,

After my parents died I lived with my sister and my brother in law and their family, I really did not have a real job... But now the kids are older and do not need taking care of during the week I have to find a real job... This scared me to death at first because I did not have to make that decision on my own, my parents were always around to make it for me or to help me when I needed them... Now it is just me, I went to a two day job club where they taught us about making resumes and cover letters and how to deal with different interview questions...I was so scared at first but made it through with out to much problems... I am seeing a employment counsellor because I have been out of the real job force for quite some time... She will help me get the skills I need for a good job... I was so freaked out about all of this but something happened last week while I was waiting for a bus home... I was sitting at the bus stop and was bored and found this newspaper to look at and noticed the ad for the job club... I think my parents must have been there and made me some how find this information to help me get back on my feet... I am not so scared anymore and with the help of my two therapist and the employment counsellor I know I will make my parents proud of me... Shelley

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I just wanted to tell you that I received the call about the new job that I was interviewed for ... I got the job it is at a local Montessori School as a teacher's assistant...I think my parents would be happy with the choice of job I got.. It is a job trial for a week and than if they like me than I will be hired full time...This has been a very hard week as I was so needing to find work with my bills piling up and I also had a hearing test done and found out that I have a mild hearing impairment, and than it was a call one day before I went for the interview so I had to do an interview with out any time to prepare... I have not been on an interview for over twenty years so it was very hard to do, on that same day it was my dad's fifth anniversary of his death.... What a great Friday though when I found out I got the job, but did not have anyone to share in my excitement... Shelley

Thanks Marty,

It was a rough day that I went for the interview but I think my dad and mom were with me during it because I started the day nervous but got to the interview and was very calm... Shelley

Congratulations Shelley!!!

I am very happy for you. I am glad you kept on trying and trying, that is how it should be. We should not be discouraged to pursue our projects, dreams etc. I am glad you are doing just that, keep going no matter what. Little by little, hopefully everything will fall into place. Your parents are watching over you.

Each day is an opportunity to experience situations and hopefully get the positive out of them. Even in the middle of our grief, we should learn to appreciate every moment, every minute of our existence, and keep going for our loved ones.

Congratulations again! I am very excited for you!!!

-L

Hi All,

Well tomorrow is the fifth and final day of the trial week, I find out tomorrow if they are going to hire me or send me on my way... I would love to work there but if it does not work out than I will just go back and start job searching all over again... If it is meant to be it will be... Shelley

Hi All,

I just want to Thank everybody who kept me in their prayers and send me good wishes about getting my new job, Because of all of you I am happy to announce that I have been HIRED.... Thanks again everybody... Shelley

Shelley,

I am so HAPPY for you!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the new job! This is another step forward on your life, we are so proud of you for trying hard and keep going. We know there may be stumbling blocks on the road but being able to overcome them gives us such satisfaction and the feeling of...yes we can!!!!

Here goes a cyberhug for you! :-)

-L

• 2 weeks later...

Shelley,

Congratulations on the new job!! Tell us all the details, how you like it, etc.

:D

Kay

• 6 months later...

Hi All, I have been at the job for seven months now and found out that I am being transferred to another school... I am so nervous it was so hard starting here and now I have to start fresh in another school... Keep your fingers crossed and I will let you all know how the first day goes... I am starting at the new school May 1st... Shelley

hi Shelley,

I have no doubt you will be ok. Of course it is very daunting and scary to have to start new again but fingers crossed this time might just be a little easier and you'll be at least some bit less nervous. You can do it and bet your Mom will be right there with you,

((hugs))

Niamh

Hi Niamh, Thank you for your nice words, my boss now tells me that they have delayed my moving till late August so I am a little relieved but come August I might be a little nervous.. Shelley

Just remember what we've said from the beginning that it is one step at a time. Just like they postponed it until Aug., you just never know it may change again and you'll stay where you are or you may like the new group even better. No matter what, we all know that you will succeed.

Is is a year round school or will you have the summer off?

Hi mlg, I am working all the summer the school is closed but there is a daycare at the school over the summer... I am trying to do it one step at a time but I seem to climb one step and fall back down two steps... Shelley

Yep it is about baby steps Shelley, sometimes I find that my head just starts reappearing from the water and then something just dunks me under again, it's hard and we just keep doing the best we can, that's all anyone can do.

If you can at all just focus on one minute, one hour, one day at a time, august is so far ahead now and really all you need to get through is right now.

hugs to you as always dear friend,

Niamh

Hi Niamh, Thanks for all your encouragement I would not be here without people like you... I am trying so hard to do baby steps and eventhough I fall back a little I am going to keep going because I know that you and others are rooting for me and I want to make every proud of me and I want to get through this grief journey too... I know I have along way to go, not just with the grief journey but also in my sexual abuse work and my self esteem work too... I did not know how much I really hated myself until I started going to therapy... But back to my grief journey I just want to really say I appreciate everything you have done for me...Your friend Shelley