Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Keeping The Faith

My husband of almost 40 years died from esophageal cancer in 2006. I later met a widower in a support group who had also been happily married almost 40 years. We became friends and later found ourselves falling in love ... something neither one of us ever expected to happen again!! During this time he was diagnosed with melanoma. Many of my friends and family, even his family, questioned why I would want to go "down that road" again. As far as I was concerned, there were never any guarantees -- either one of us could become ill, have a fatal accident, etc. So, we continued to make our plans to marry and became engaged Christmas Eve 2008. He passed away 8 months ago today of complications from the melanoma. I not only grieve for him, but now find myself grieving for my husband much as I did when he first died. I am grateful to God for the gift of love and being loved; not everyone has that in their lives. Still, sometimes the pain is almost unbearable. You all know that feeling of expecting the phone to ring with your loved one calling, seeing him or her smile and hearing their laughter, waiting for your loved one to walk through the door, seeing something or hearing something that you want so desperately to share with that one person who would appreciate it ... I don't know what God's plan is for me now; but I will try to be alert to what He may be trying to tell me. I wish you all Peace.

Bless your heart, dear Faith ~ we're all so very sorry for your unspeakable losses ~ but it's good to know that you've found your way to this group of warm, compassionate, supportive and very loving people. You are not alone here.

Hi Faith,

So sorry to hear of all your tragedies, I also lost my husband of 44 years on April 6, it is unbearable, he died suddenly (3 weeks) pancreatic cancer, was perfectly fine before that, go figure, got a stomach ache and just got worse each day, it is like a terrible nightmare, and waiting to wake up, which i know won't happen. One day at a time is what everyone says, so I guess that is what we have to do,

God Bless

Karen

Faithfull,

I send you prayers of comfort, and my heart aches for your loss, your post is so ironic as I'm becoming involved with a widow and I am a widower we both have found such a wonderful friendship, one if the first things we discussed is one of us will have to grieve again!!, when she brought this up it did not even really cross my mind as we all tend to put those things in the back of our minds, well recently I found out I have a nodule in my left lung and I'm going for a second opinon next week, that's when it hit me what she said I could no longer keep tucked away and after reading your post it really allows me to see reality from another aspect...you think much like me I like this "I am grateful to God for the gift of love and being loved; not everyone has that in their lives".and with this in mind "I don't know what God's plan is for me now; but I will try to be alert to what He may be trying to tell me". you will indeed find comfort, my faith carries me daily....I pray God comforts you with his loving arms during this rough time....and I will be following your posts, please keep us posted we are all here for each other....

NATS