Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Birthday Memorial

Weds would have been my husbands birthday so all the family went to the cemetery and we realeased one balloon for each year. I have everyone tell me their greatest memory of their father, grandfather etc or something funny they remembered. Was grat to hear what they all said. Some brought tears and some brought laughter. A gon-in-law, and a grand-son-in-law each read a special poem when the balloons all vanished. Then I took all that wanted to go out for supper. Turned a dreaded day into a nice evening together. Had 15 adults, and 3 tiny babies all there. After some came over here for cake cause one grand daughter insisted her grandpa still had to have a birthday cake................. A day I dreaded actually turned out to be a very rewarding day................Mariono

You did fine, Mariono. That is wonderful! I think that is the way they would want us to do it, not be sad for them.

I know it is so hard to not feel sad and cry. I'm doing better, but I still have tears for my Barb. A lot of firsts coming, mainly when she fell ill to lupus and the holidays.

But I am glad you had that fine tribute and celebration of life for your husband. He was looking down and smiling I'm sure.

That sounds like a great idea! Don't worry about spelling, we can understand you just fine. :)

What a great tribute for a birthday.

We have always had alot of family dinners, now I find the g/children are usually the first to mention Grampa. It breaks the ice and everyone has something good or funny to tell. Makes it feel almost like he's with us.

Lainey