Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Christmas Cards....

I know it seems like something trivial to be worried about....but Christmas cards have been on my mind.

Every October we would have a family picture done so that we could have Christmas cards printed up. This year I was at a loss about what to do.....it is too soon in our grief process to have a family picture done, we haven't adjusted to a huge part of our family being gone. I don't want to skip cards altogether....I love receiving them and I especially love sending them out.

The answer to my problem came in an email from the American Cancer Society. They offer a choice of 6 cards, will print up as many as you'd like with a saying of your choice.....for a donation of your choice. This seemed like a win-win situation all the way around. We were planning on making a donation for the holidays in Jeff's name anyway and now I will have a Christmas card to send out that has meaning.

Then I struggled with what to have printed on it? Happy Holidays? Merry Christmas?.....all the typical sayings didn't really reflect what we would be going through on our first Christmas without Jeff. After searching the internet for a while I finally came up with what I thought is perfect for this year:

"What is Christmas? It is appreciation for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace."

I guess it still amazes me on a daily basis how much Jeff's death has had such a profound impact on EVERY aspect of our lives.....who would have thought that even picking out a Christmas card would become such a monumental task?!

What a perfect way to send out your cards this year. When Don and my grandchildren were born, we bought each a miniature tree, and every year we picked out a special Hallmark miniature ornament to send to them before Christmas so they could add to their tree. Today, I went alone to pick out the ornaments. Yes, it was a little sad, but I picked out one that I knew Don would have chosen for our grandson. It's Snoopy with an artist hat and pallet and paint (Don's hobby was painting pictures) and it's perfect for Nolan. All in all I had a good day.

How about "Wishing you a wonderful Christmas season"

I didn't send out cards the year George died, I just found it too painful to know what to say. (Merry Christmas, my husband died?)

You are wonderful to even try...

Perkins,

You are so correct, every aspect of our lives changes and can change at the blink of an eye or a drop of a tear, I think you have a wonderful outlook on things considering our situation, I see you generating some positive enegry in your journey, I also am taking that approach, I know Ruth would not be happy if I we're doing any differant....I'm not sure on Christmas yet, I know it will be hard and I'm planning a trip the day after so the decorating is still up for thought I will do some as she would/will be sad if I don't but the complete array of our past traditions don't seem possible without her here on earth, it will now be first new traditions I must establish with myself, my boys, my new companion and of course God and Jesus after all it is Jesus' day so I'll let him guide me.....wishing you peace and comfort during the upcomming Holiday's.....

NATS

I guess it still amazes me on a daily basis how much Jeff's death has had such a profound impact on EVERY aspect of our lives.....who would have thought that even picking out a Christmas card would become such a monumental task?!

Wow, that statement is so true. I feel exactly that way..every day is a new challenge with Cecil gone.

I hadn't even thought about Christmas cards and now wondering if I will even do them this year. As NATS said you are generating some positives in your life and I applaud you for it Perkins!

Allana

I think it perfectly normal that it is a monumental task. I am sorry for that. Christmas is painfully difficult for me.

Courage and Blessings, Carol Ann

I'll be spending Christmas here at home with three of our sons. It will be strange, empty and lonely without my husband, but I figured he'd want me to have Christmas for our sons' sake. I was always more Christmassy than he was, so I'll get the tree and decorate it, buy a turkey, some cookies and a few gifts. Nothing big this year, but just being together will be important for us.

I don't think I have the energy to write Christmas cards this year though. That would require more cheerfulness than I can muster. I doubt people expect them from me anyway.

Melina

I am having Christmas here also. My daughters are doing most of the work which is a huge help. So I will be with my daughters, spouses and grandsons which I am looking forward to. My one daughter and 2 grandsons are spending the night Christmas Eve and we will open presents together. My stepdaughter will also be coming and my son-in-laws father (who lost his wife early Jan/10).

I am sure the day will be bitter sweet but we will all be together and that is what it is all about.

Allana