Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Christmas Without My Kate

rebbyreb99

I have not visited this site in quite a few months. Even though I think about Katie every day and shed a few tears about 1 or 2 times a week, I was doing ok. Today I felt like I needed to visit this site and write. It will be about 9 months since I lost her. I have to deal with the death of my dogs, cats, horse, and birds but losing Katie has been extremely difficult. I put up my Christmas tree and in the Christmas boxes I found a stuffed toy that she used to go nuts trying to get ahold of it. There on this stuffed toy's sweater were "Katie hairs" all over it. I lost it big time. I almost 51 years old and nothing to this point has made such an impact on me. I do not let anyone know that I still cry over this. There is so much pain in this world and so I feel some pangs of guilt for crying over this. I have done so much reading since she died about pets going to Heaven. My pastor does not believe that they do but whether is is because of the necessity to believe that they do that I will continue to disagree with him. I am a Christian who believes that God knows my heart and he knows how much I need to believe that she as well as all of my other pets will be there when I get there. Sorry to ramble, sorry to sound crazy but this is a woman who just went thru 10 minutes of bawling in my bathroom and felt the need to go to a site that can relate. Merry Christmas to all!

post-14715-132252107839_thumb.jpg

My dear friend, you have indeed come to a place where others can relate. We completely understand your reaction when you found that toy covered with Katie hairs. Your grief is but a measure of your love for your precious Katie, and that love is something to be treasured and cherished. Don't let anyone take it away from you. Believe that she awaits you in the afterlife, if that is what brings you comfort. I lost my beloved Beringer three months ago ~ he was my faithful companion for fifteen years, and if he's not waiting for me when I get to Heaven some day, I don't want to go there. It wouldn't be Heaven for me. Cry your tears, worry no more that you are "crazy," and celebrate the fact that you are capable of loving another creature as much as you love Katie. Bless your precious heart, and Merry Christmas to you, too

This is my first time on here as just joined this wonderful forum today. I am on here because I, like you, lost a beloved pet. My best friend died on Friday. His name was Marley. He was my beautiful 6 year old goldendoodle. He was hit by a car in front of my house. My life turned upside down that day. Believe me, I share your pain. I can't even bring myself to bring out the Christmas decorations because everything will remind me of Marley. I have cried for 4 days without stopping. It helps to read that I am not alone with my grief and that others are trying to cope with the upcoming holidays. I have trouble walking into my bedroom where Marley slept because there is still some of his hair on the carpet. I feel better knowing I am not alone. I'm sorry for your loss of Kate.

rebby,

I'm sorry the holidays are stirring it all up for you and I can totally relate about losing it when you see her dog hairs. There is no prescribed time when we should just be "over it", we continue to miss them, they are our dearest companions, so how can we not?

As for believing in afterlife for our pets...there are some that ascribe to very set views...it's too bad though that they don't have the capacity to consider anything else...I have met some that are so rigid in their beliefs. But the thing I ask myself is not what they believe, but what do I base MY views on? I look to the Bible, not man's opinion. The Bible tells us a lot about the afterlife...but there is more that it DOESN'T tell us! These are the things that people often disagree about or wait until they arrive and will find out. But more than what is said or not said, we can also glean from the other things that might allude to an answer. Such as: What do we know about God? In reading the WHOLE of the Bible, we know that he is a God of compassion, He is a creator, not only of us, but these wonderful furry creatures that He cared enough about to entrust in our care! He established that we should take care of them, even as He does...He looks after the birds, does He care any less about our dogs and cats than them? He is a God of order and uses His brain. What a keen mind He has! Does it make any sense then that He would go to the effort to create a wonderful furry animal and then let their life just go to waste and start all over with completely NEW ones in heaven? Why would he NOT rather bring the old ones He's created into His new kingdom, thus making us happy in the process! We know there are "no more tears" in heaven, He tells us that. We know there are animals in heaven (the lion shall lay down with the lamb), He tells us that! So why NOT my dogs and cats gone before me! So other people and their opinions about animals not making it to heaven don't hold value for me. Yes I've heard the "animals don't have souls" assertion...and all people do? I've seen some in maximum security prisons that have done the most vile unmentionable acts ever and yet THEY have souls and my beloved dog doesn't? And is there a place in scripture that specifically states that only those with souls can enter heaven? Does it define explicitly WHAT a soul is? You see, I've read the Bible over and over, all of my life, I find there are some pieces He did NOT choose to tell us for whatever reason only He knows...but I look at what I DO know and have faith He will work out the things He has not chosen to tell us.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Kate. She looks like such a sweet and loving dog. I just lost my dog Baby a few weeks ago and I feel like I will never get over her tragic death. I've also lost other pets but by far, her death has effected me the most. There is no way that God would send these special little creatures to earth to share lives and bond with us without allowing them into heaven. I know they go to heaven! I was looking up things on the internet the other day about animals and heaven, and I came across a few wonderful quotes from Pope John Paul. He said, "the way in which man was created suggests a relationship with the spirit or the breath of God. And one reads that after having created man from the dust of the earth, the Lord God 'breathed life into his nostrils and man became a living soul. Also the animals possess a soul and men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren... and they are as close to God as men are." I really found comfort in reading that quote because, like you, it's a common belief in my church that only humans go to heaven.. so I hope that you found it comforting as well. I cannot wait to meet my little Baby up in heaven.. because I know she will be jumping up and down in anticipation until I get there! But for now, I am trying to cope with her not being down here with me, especially for this holiday season. Kate knew that she was especially loved by you and appreciated every moment you and her spent together. There is nothing wrong with still being sad over the loss of your beloved friend. If anything, you should be proud for being such a loving person! It means that you and Kate shared something very special. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas season, and know that Kate is watching over you just like Baby is watching over me.

Sorry for the pain you are feeling. I lost 3 dogs within two years and the pain was unbearable. Please just know that you aren't alone, I for one had a problem for months getting on with my life and I'm sure others on this site did too.

I don't understand why some of the religious institutions don't believe that animals go to Heaven. They are God's creatures just like we are. I whole heartedly believe that they go to Heaven, if we go then they would go too, it only makes sense.

Marley's mom,

I am so sorry for your loss. It ripped my heart out when I read this. You are not alone so whenever you feel that gut wrenching pain, you come to this forum. I can not tell you how many times I came on here, read each painful story, cried and then felt better. I can't explain it but all the crying I do when I read stories such as yours,I don't feel alone. I have to tell you what I have done for therapy since Katie died. I found an organization in Joplin MS and have paid for sponsorships for unwanted animals so that people can adopt the animals and their adoption fee has already paid by me. It has helped me tremendously knowing an unwanted pet can find a new home. Take care Marley's mom

Rhapsedy,

Billy Graham wrote in some of his books that he believes our pets will be in Heaven when we get there. If Billy Graham believes it then that is good enough for me.

I am holding on to this.

thank you KayC for the wonderful encouragement. I have read many books since she died about Heaven and our pets. You are right when you say why would God let the wonderful furry animals go to waste and start over with new ones. EXACTLY! Like I said, God knows my heart and He knows what I need and extremely important my pets are to me. I need to have faith that they will be there to greet me. Shortly after Katie died, I saw a vision of my collie, my silky terrier and my horse with katie waiting for me. I got to believe that God placed that on my heart to make me feel better. Thank you so much for your words

I am so sorry about Baby. I definitely feel better with the replies about pets in Heaven. I decided to put the Christmas sweater that Katie wore on the toy she used to love to grab and run off. This toy is sitting on my nightstand. My husband thought I was nuts for wanting to do this. He thought this would hurt more. Actually looking at this stuffed toy with her sweater on has made me more peaceful. Merry Christmas and God bless