Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Bringing My Sweet Boy To Be Put Down Today

RockysMomma

In an hour I have to leave to bring my Rocky to the vet. He is very ill and needs to not suffer anymore. I can't believe this is happening. I have had a great 10 years with him. He has been by my side when my husband has deployed. He was there when I brought my children home from the hospital. He was there through all of my health issues. He has endured 6 moves in 8 years and has never complained. He is always there to greet me with a smile and a tail wag. I know in my head that I am doing the right thing, but my heart is breaking. I can't imagine life without him. I plan on being there when he goes. I want the last person he sees to be someone who loves him. And then I will summon up the strength to bring him to the crematorium. And then I have to leave him. I am going to miss him, my sweet Rocky boy.

Dear one, I am so very sorry to learn of the horrible task that faces you today, and I can only imagine the depth of your pain. Just know that as you accompany your precious Rocky on this final visit to the vet, you are acting out of selflessness in placing his needs above your own. You are exchanging his pain and suffering for your own: the grief that you will feel afterward, while his spirit will be soaring. That is the most exquisite expression of love. Know, too, that you are not alone ~ You carry all of us with you today, and we will be here for you in the aftermath.

RockysMama,

I am so sorry for the day that you are facing today. I know your heart is heavy and this is surely one of the hardest tasks you'll ever face. I am glad you will be there when it's Rocky's time to go, to bring him comfort and assurance that all will be well for him. I wish I could say something to easy your pain, but I'm afraid there is nothing I could say that could make any real difference to you...just know there are others here that understand and care. I will pray for you today...

How lucky that little soul was to have you for a parent. I know that it is awful that you are separated now. The only time I hate being on this planet is when I am separated from my beloved fourleggeds though death. Even now I got tears inspite of the fourleggeds laying around me right now. But I think of what their life might have been without me, all the good times, even the challenging times seem more life a great adventure that I would experience again in a heart beat to have them by my side. Times like this, I feel hollow for the dogs around the bed. But they just love me anyway, and there are four dogs out of the pound who arent suffering and they sure love living here.

So I am so sorry for your loss, and I know our words dont touch that cold, empty space in your heart. Please know tho, that you are not alone, we all know this feeling and we love that you have come here to share. I hope that you will tell us some stories about him!

Hugs

CJ

Thank you everyone for your kind words and sympathies. I am having a very hard time with the loss of Rocky. I feel like the grief is constant and yet also comes in waves. There are so many times throughout the days when I expect him to be there and he's not. I turn to call for him when I come in from being in the yard. I miss hearing him breathing in the quiet of the night when I lay in bed. When I wake the first thing I do is look at his bed and remember all over again that he is gone. Logically I know that moving his things would make this easier, but I just can't bring myself to do that. It feels so disloyal to his memory. I am supposed to go pick up his ashes tomorrow. I know that will be very tough. I will have my two small children (ages 5 and 1) with me though so I will have to be brave and keep it together for their sakes. I knew this would be difficult, but I honestly had no idea it would hurt this badly. I did make a decision regarding some of his things. I am planning on contacting the local Humane Society chapter and donating the belongings of his that I won't be keeping. I rescued my beloved Rocky from an animal shelter when he was 5 weeks old. I was blessed to have 10 wonderful years with him. If some of his things can help bring joy to a dog being fostered while waiting for their forever home then that will bring me some solace. post-15676-1338212652782_thumb.jpg

OMG, your Rocky is beautiful! Is he part Husky, maybe Collie as well? (the markings, the tail...) You're bound to feel this way, he was such a huge part of your life and the bond so tight. The Humane Society will probably appreciate your donation and all of the dogs that benefit from it as well. My dog is 1/2 Husky and I also got him from a rescue shelter. Thank God there are people taking in these wonderful souls and giving them a good life!

Thank you. I think he is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen. When I adopted him from the shelter they told me his momma was a black lab. They didn't know what his dad was. Over the years I've had many people comment that he look either collie or shepherd. He had the most amazing markings and his smile could light up a room.

post-15676-13382192994171_thumb.jpg

Dear one, I felt the exact same way about my Beringer: the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen. Your Rocky is very handsome. How blessed he was to have you for his mommy. Please go here and watch this touching video ~ and know you are not alone . . . http://www.griefhealingblog.com/2011/08/saying-goodbye-to-beringer.html

Thank you. I think he is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen. When I adopted him from the shelter they told me his momma was a black lab. They didn't know what his dad was. Over the years I've had many people comment that he look either collie or shepherd. He had the most amazing markings and his smile could light up a room.

Dear RockysMom....What a beautiful boy. He does look like he's got some collie in him doesn't he?! I am not sure where you are in your faith but for me it is very comforting to know that I will see my four legged friends someday. It has definitely gotten me thru some very difficult days/nights. It has been a over a year for me and it does get easier but I still miss her like crazy. I think it was a wonderful idea to donate his things to a shelter. I could not think of a better way. In memory of my Katie I donated a dog kennel to a new shelter that was being built. It some how eases the pain to know that I can help others since at this time I can not adopt any dogs. You will find that this site helps so much. Bless you and know that your Rocky will be there to greet you one day!

• 1 month later...

Hi RockysMama,

It's been a little while since your Rocky's passing and I hope that you are doing okay. It gets a little easier with time, but I think there are always feelings of loss and sadness. You were a good friend to him; sometimes part of being a good friend is making the hard decisions and carrying them out.

It's been ten days now since I had to put my beloved Misha down. It seems the pain will never go away and I'll always feel the guilt. I know I shouldn't, but I just have to feel the way I feel until I don't feel that way anymore.

My sister shared this poem with me and it helped quite a bit:

It's called You Did Me A Kindness

When my legs grew too weak to carry me,

And my tired eyes could no longer see,

When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,

When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,

You did me the kindness of letting me go.

You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.

I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,

And I love you all the more for your selflessness.

You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,

And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

Thank you for sharing that. It is so poignant and true. Misha is a beautiful dog, I'm sure you'll be together again. I am going through the "end of life" period with my beloved granddoggy, whom I have had much of his life. I always try to consider their quality of life vs their discomfort when making the decision as to when to put them to sleep. My own dog, Lucky, I had put to sleep when she was losing her eyesight, hearing, falling, getting a tumor in her eye, and had been incontinent for the last two years of her life...but the deciding factor as to "when" for me was when she was waking up at night crying...that broke my heart. She hadn't smiled much the last two years and I knew she was in discomfort so even though she could have lived longer, it would have been at the expense of her comfort. I appreciate your sharing your poem with us animal lovers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi RockysMama,

I'm so sorry about Rocky, what a handsome happy fella in his picture!

I know your heart is broken, there is such a void, Rocky had 10 wonderful years with a family who loved him, I have had to let a few dogs go and it's the hardest decision, I truly believe they know it's their time though and understand.

I know you feel guilty if you think of moving his things, I felt the same way when I lost my last fur baby, his toys were under my daughter's trampoline and I wouldn't let anyone move them for some time. When you feel up to it you will know.

I think it's so wonderful to donate some of Rocky's things to the Humane Society.

I know that really no words right now will help your pain, it took quite a long time for me to be able to talk about my last dog and smile when I thought of him, take care and many hugs to you.