Grief Healing Discussion Groups

19 Years Ago Today

pumkin

On Jan. 28, 1994, I had to put my precious Dobie to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He will always be a part of my life. He lived for 10 years and was my best buddy. He was there for me when my husband left me and kept me and my daughter going. Dobie had bone cancer. The vet wanted to amputate his leg and give him chemo but I couldn't afford it. I knew he was suffering. The vet put him on some steroids for six months and I thought he was going to be o.k. But on this day 19 years ago, he woke up and couldn't walk. I knew it was time. My daughter immediately came home from school and I stayed home from work by his side all day. My vet came to our home at 7 p.m. that evening and prepared us (me & my daughter ). We had placed Dobie in one of our bedrooms for the vet. I hugged and kissed Dobie as did my daughter and held him in my arms. My daughter (16)had a panic attack and couldn't breath just when we knew Dobie was gone. I went down to 90 lbs. and luckily was able to find a support group for me and my daughter that Marty was running. I believe I recovered because of that grief support group I attended 19 years ago. I am now lucky to have found this grief forum that Marty is running. I've lost my significant other five months ago and feel so very fortunate to be a part of this forum. Everyone is so kind and non-judgemental. So you feel you belong and they understand you. God bless all of you who have lost your precious pet.

My dear Pumkin, from my heart to yours, thank you. Your post is a priceless testament to the power of group support following the loss of a loved one, whether that is a person or a cherished animal companion. You are to be commended for having the courage to reach out for that support when you need it, and I am so grateful to you for sharing your story with all of us.

Pumkin,

I am glad you got your Dobie and I know how hard it is to lose your precious companion. It just goes to show, even 19 years later, we still miss them. I had a cat that lived to 19, he was named George (I had him before husband George) and he died a year after my husband...it's been 6 1/2 years now and I still miss him, it's hard to believe it's been that long. He was my greeter, and I loved his personality, he was very sweet and interactive, not aloof like a lot of cats.

I am glad you got some help from this site, it has been immeasurable help to me the last few years! Your story will lend encouragement to others who are going through it.

• 3 weeks later...