Grief Healing Discussion Groups

About Hospice Care: Free Audio Replays

MartyT

This from Karen Wyatt, MD, author of What Really Matters: 7 Lessons for Living from the Stories of the Dying:

In honor of National Hospice Awareness Month I am making available the replays of interviews with Don Schumacher of the NHPCO (National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization) and Dr. Ira Byock, palliative care physician, for the rest of this month. Click on the links below to listen, if you missed them last week. You can also forward this email to others who might like to listen, as well:

1. Don Schumacher discusses "The Future of Hospice Care in the U.S." and reports on the recent findings of the NHPCO in their 2013 Facts and Figures.

Listen to Don Schumacher here. (Click on the link to go to the replay.)

You can download the NHPCO 2013 Facts and Figures here.

2. Ira Byock, MD presents "Options for the Best Care Possible at the End-of-Life" as he talks about his many experiences with patients at the end-of-life.

Listen to Dr. Ira Byock here. (Click on the link to go to the replay.)

Oh thank you, Marty, for posting this. I missed Dr. Ira Byock's talk and am so glad to have the chance to listen to him. The series has been excellent and Dr. Karen Wyatt is such a good moderator. I really liked Dr. Byrock's point of just as people are better prepared for child birth today so it is just as vital today to prepare for our end-of-life. I liked how he kept saying, "What is the best care for me?" We need to know what it is we want and then let others know. Advocate for myself.

I believe that it is true that people who are in palliative care or hospice tend to live longer because the patient's needs are being met to a greater degree.

So many good points that he brings up. Quality vs quantity time, how to get the BEST care through end-of-life, we are all mortal...

It was a very good interview in my opinion.

Anne