Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My West Highland White Rocky

Moira

My poor boy was euthanised October 9th 2015 10 and a half years old. He had an amputation of his right hind leg on the 1st October 2015 due to an aggressive cancer in the soft tissue around his bone. He was in terrible pain from the beginning of September, limping badly, panting and pacing from room to room. He gradually got worse until he could no longer put his paw to the floor. The vets had told us all along that it was cruciate disease. I asked if they thought it was cancer, they ignored me and kept looking at the bones in his leg. Heartbroken. He was in so much agony in the end he collapsed after being on so many pain killing drugs he could no longer hold his head up, bless him.

To say I miss him is an understatement, I look for him every day. I wake up and hope that it has all been a nightmare, then I look to the garden and see his little headstone, and reality hits again. Rocky was the fourth member of our family, like all other  dogs he greeted us each time we came home always brought a toy, or he would bite the bottom of your trousers and drag you in the house. He would ask for food/ water, by hitting his bowls with his paws, all the little things he did, such a personality, he really was. We took him everywhere with us, even to the supermarket, I would shop my husband would walk him. So many memories, struggling really badly to deal with this.

image.jpg

Moira, my dear, I am so sorry to read of the death of your precious fur baby. One look at his beautiful face and the look in his eyes tells me how special your Rocky was to you. What an adorable little person he is! This picture says it all. Please tell us more about what makes him so special ~ and know that our thoughts are with you, wishing peace and healing to your broken heart. 

Hi, he was such a character, from a small puppy he always let us know what he wanted. When we bought hiim a new toy, or replaced his bed, as soon as we placed it on the floor he was there, and no-one was allowed to touch it. He would growl at us, but never once did he bite, if his mouth came in contact with your hand, he would always lick you. So loving. He followed me everywhere, literally everywhere I went he was by my side, even when in the bathroom, and if I tried to shut him out he would bark, and not stop. Everybody in our neighbourhood loved him, he was such a friendly chap. The circumstances of his illness were so dreadful, I feel so guilty that I did not euthanise him earlier. The vet led us to believe that when his leg was amputated he would be pain free. The cancer was already through his body before the amputation took place, I strongly believe the vets knew this, they only needed to look at how much pain he was in.

We had a caravan in New Quay West Wales, he was there every weekend in the early years. He would run on the beach as free as a bird. I would like to think he is doing that now. I keep telling myself that we did the right thing, and that he was suffering, and   I did not want him to suffer any more. He has left a huge hole in our house, miss him so badly, I can't find the words to say how much I miss him.

Moira,

I am so sorry.  He is adorable and I can see why you miss him so much.  We've all lost our fur family members at some time or another, and as huge animal lovers, our hearts go out to you in your loss.  Just being able to express your feelings helps, so does remembering and honoring him in some way, such as telling his story and posting his picture.  He will live on always in your heart.