Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A letter to Kura (April 22, 2016)

Nikki D

April 22, 2016

The end of April, when the leaves start to fill the listless dun-colored-woods with vivid green, and the white flowers of Dogwood in full bloom add pureness into the breathe of life, mommy and daddy had a little wedding ceremony in a tiny garden at a small courthouse on April 22nd, 2008. It was one of our happiest days of our lives, filled with bright hope for our new happy life.

You were then in your mother’s womb jostling with your siblings, your little heart also filled with expectation for coming out to the new world. 

Soon after, on May 2nd, 2008, you were born… to race at a track in Daytona Beach. Oh, how I wish I were there to see you as a puppy! I bet you were so cute…  I wonder if we were already connected by an invisible cord then…

For 2 years you spent days at the track as a racing hound. I have no idea how your life was as a racer.  Then you retired after breaking your right hind leg and came to a rescue group. That’s when we met.  You joined our family on February 12, 2011. It was another happy and exciting day of my life.

You are an angel sent to my life to rescue me when a shadow started to cast over our supposedly very happy life, when Lyme disease struck me in 2009.  By the end of 2010, I wasn’t able to walk for even 5 minutes. But after you joined our family, I was again able to go out for walks and enjoy my life. By the end of the year mommy’s health improved significantly and we were able to travel even overseas – one of the ingredients of our happy life recipe we were writing. During the four happy years you brought back to us, we met some of your cousins in Ireland and Spain. Last year we even brought 6 of them back with us so they could fine their fur-ever homes here!

Our four years of happiness was, all of sudden, cut short. Ku-chan, why were you taken away so soon?  I wish you were still here to be a big part of our happy life…  I know you want me to stay happy, after all that’s the reason you came. But how am I supposed to be content without you? I am trying hard not to disappoint you and I hope, soon all the tears I shed over the memories you left will change into smiles and laughter.

Someday, when the time comes, we will reunite and this time we’ll never have to be apart again. And eventually we will all be together again. Daddy, Saya-chan, your siblings, our family and good friends in both skin and fur.

Until then, I believe you will still stay by my side as my guardian angel – you were stuck to me like Velcro anyways… I know you have to use lots of energy to show your presence but I do wish to see you once in a while…

Love,

Mommy

July 23 Evening Walk   8pm 2.JPG

• Upvote 2

Nikki, this is such a lovely letter to your Kura...Made me cry & happy at the same time. Kura & Gulu made & still make our lives so much better & happier. Gulu was my rock when I was going through some personal problems too.

I do believe that Gulu's spirit too is still with us & I wish him good night every night before going to bed. If only we could hold them once more - if only they had lived their full lives...

• Upvote 1

Nikki,

This is indeed beautiful, and so is your picture.  I know it's hard, my heart goes out to you both.

Awwww that is so wonderful.  Makes me think of doing the same thing, writing a letter to Merlin.  Appreciating him for what he brought to my life although it was a short time.  I know that every living thing comes into our lives at our request (although not conscious) and we have no control over the length of that connection.  I'm still grasping myself at the Merlin and me experience and what it was that he needed to do for me and what I needed to do for him in this physical space.   We are always connected in spirit I know and someday we'll meet again at that beautiful Rainbow Bridge.  I lady I know in another forum gave me this poem. 

poem.jpg

• Upvote 4

I have the same poem! I love this poem. I actually made a personalized card using this exact poem and sent it to a friend who also lost his soul cat in his prime (His name was Kumar) 4 days before I lost my Kura. I have it printed out for me to look at it, I've been thinking about putting Kura's photo on and frame it. 

I have been writing letters and poems as Marty suggested. It helps me. When I do, it helps me feel that we are still connected and also keep all the memories of Kura alive. You should write a letter to your Merlin, too! He is going to love it! 

• Upvote 2

OMG, I can't believe how realistic it is!  I hope it brings you many smiles.

• Upvote 1

When I opened the box and saw "him", I literally broke down in tears with joy. I hugged and squeezed him so tight and even jumped up and down like a little child! It made my husband happy to see me this way. I haven't been this happy since Kura's passing. This clone looks just like him, especially the angle from the kitchen...when I see him lying on his favorite bed in the living room, it's like he is really there, just like he used to be...  We can even take him with us on our trip this weekend!!! 

• Upvote 1

Tammy Hendricks, the artist who makes them, calls them "soft sculptures" because they are not toys and not simply the "stuffed animals" you would find in a store. Tammy is amazing ~ she was born with one arm, and this is her special gift.

• Upvote 2