Grief Healing Discussion Groups

This is a topic that can just be let go after I post, or Marty can move it.  Requires no answer.  Coming down to Louisiana yesterday brought back memories that my granddaughter will never see.  We were all born and raised in less than 100 mile radius, as were our relatives.  Back before AC and TV, people lived under shade trees and big families had family reunions, usually at 4th of July, hottest time to have a reunion.  In my mom's family, the biggest reunion, the girls all tried to out talk each other, they would get louder and louder and the husbands all hid somewhere with Jack Daniels, or one of his kinfolks..  The reunion never broke up until the loudest sister could not out-scream her sibling and she would get her brood and head down the road fast, angry words spoken.  Never failed.  Us young'uns, we all just looked on with amusement.  None of us would have taken up for our mothers, hey, we lived with them.  The night before the 4th my grandfather and his son after him would kill a pig and they had a hole dug in the ground with coals burning for a long time.  That pig was roasted, basted with barbeque sauce all night, or whenever it was required.  The next day the sisters, cousins, neighbors would all lay out on the boarded up makeshift tables, from tree to tree, the salads, casseroles, cakes, and Grandma's greasy fried pies.  She and I never were cooks. 

After that first sister left angry, eventually it all broke up.  Oh we had lots of shade trees, flies, and sometimes pork that was a little too pink for my taste.  I cannot remember any of us ever getting sick from it.  All around laying on the ground were numerous old hound dogs that were pets and also used for hunting.  They cleared up the scraps, them and the chickens that were all over the place.  Yep, you had to watch where you stepped.. 

Looking through my pictures this week I found many pictures of these reunions.  Most all of the people in them are gone now.  But, I was feeling sorry for my granddaughter, this was a part of Americana she would never know.  These happened every year until the great grandchildren were getting married, my uncle and grandmother had passed.  Somehow, reunions are not the same without the matriarch and patriarch's that began them. 

A part of America we have lost..  This all happened so far out in the country, houses were way far apart, we had little communities called, Walker's Chapel, Redland, Mott, Carterville, just names on a sign, just names.............,

• Upvote 3

"Outstanding in Our Field" one of the pictures of one reunion.  Me, Mama, Kelli at about 11, and Grandma..  Cousin and her daughter on the right.  Cornfield in the back.  I meant this was country.

reunion.jpg

• Upvote 2

Marg,

Childhood memories like this are the best. Back when all we had to worry about was what we were going to do for our next adventure. Not worrying about where the next meal was coming from or what bill we had to pay.

It's been so long , but I faintly remember living in a tiny Texas town at about age seven with all my aunts and uncles nearby. We had times like that on Sundays after church. I have a cousin one year older. We were two peas in a pod, called ourselves "Sloop and Slop". Have no idea where we came up with those names. I would love to have that family around me again. Unfortunately, they are all gone as yours are. The cousin and I no longer speak.

• Upvote 3

I talked to my cousin today. She is one of the "sister's daughter."  Her mom passed away a bunch of years ago.  Her brother and I walked down the aisle at graduation.  He passed away about six years ago.  They all seem like they are bullet proof until they are gone.  My neighbor Hettie said "Margaret, at our age it is natural to lose our friends".  I know that is true.  She said on her anniversary after her husband's death she went to the cemetery and then came in and did not get off the couch all day.  My son is going back with me Tuesday and we are going to finish that house.  Just lost another classmate.  Born, live, die.

Word salad. 

• Upvote 3