Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Thinking about dropping out of college.

Keep us posted!

I'm sure that's hard right now.:(

• 1 month later...

My exams have started and they are going okay. 

I know study would seem like the least difficult thing but it's very hard for me to focus and especially when most of the topics are related to my mom's death.

But when I feel low I read all this post again and think about mom and all those who are with me. 

This is the last, it'll be till 10 May and then it'll be over.

• Upvote 3

That's good that you're staying in school, although it's totally understandable that it's been difficult and has triggered a lot. Sometimes one just has to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and sometimes I think it's helpful to stay busy. I work as a school counselor and school psychologist, and so I am continually surrounded by other people's grief, losses, and other trauma.

My dad died early on a Wednesday morning and I was supposed to lead a meeting that afternoon that had been really hard to schedule. It was an hour from where I live and I was more than a little scattered. I certainly thought about skipping it, and when I apologized for being five minutes late and what happened, the teachers, parent, and administrator said, more or less in unison, "Why are you even here?" I explained that I thought it best to be busy, and also that it would be hard to reschedule the meeting again. I had some trouble keeping things straight and the special ed teacher several times helped me with little bits, but it was ok. Not my bees-lead meeting ever, but people understood.

I'm sure the same is true for you as well-that the people at your school understand that you are struggling and that they give you a lot of credit for doing your best to stay on track. I think it inspires others to see someone move courageously when things are hard. Hang in there-you probably have more support than you would ever even imagine!

• Upvote 3

One go the good things about school is that you have a break coming up, and that will be helpful. I work in the schools and so I have the same thing. As a school Psychologist I have two reports I need to complete and they need to be done right. It is REALLY hard to focus. I am working on them at the times I feel like I can be productive, and I have asked a colleague/friend to proof-read these two before I submit them, which I have never done. You may need to fine/use resources, tools, and accommodations at your school that you don't usually need. People understand and will help you...

• Upvote 4

Mom'sangel,

We are all rooting for you!  It is very hard to focus when you are grieving, and you have been an inspiration to so many here.  I wish nothing but good for you!

• Upvote 2

Aloneandlost,

I had my boss review my work when I started back after my husband died.  I'd never had to do that either, but it's important when we're newly grieving.  You look at something you've done and you think, "I did that?!"  It's tough but you make it through it somehow.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much enna, alone & lost and kayc for your kind support and love.

Alone and lost, after my mom died not even one month was complete and I had to go for my practical exams. 

I can understand what you went through.

Keeping myself busy is not a good idea for me as whenever I try to avoid the fact and indulge in something else, I feel like everything around me and inside me is pulling me back to my emotions and then I burst out crying.

Moreover I've felt that my mind is still ready to except the lie that my mom is alive and gone somewhere for a while, it hurts afterwards so I don't trick myself.

I'm sorry keeping busy doesn't work for you, for most people it seems like distraction helps for a bit, but inevitably triggers come bursting through.  Whatever works!  Some also have found that setting aside a time each day to mourn, cry, think about them helps so they can continue doing what they need to do in their life (work, school, etc.) the other time.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This is such good news. I have had you in my prayers since you started to study for exams. The mere fact that YOU stuck it out is enough.

Good for you. It's time to celebrate now. 

congratulations.jpg

• Upvote 3