Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Thinking about dropping out of college.

Mom's angel, 

CONGRATULATIONS!

happy dance.jpg

• Upvote 3

That's really good. I'm sure it's disappointing to have a grade that is lower than what you are used to earning, but the people at the college were probably correct in telling you it was better to go on and keep trying because if you had quit you might have had a failing grade and not only felt terrible about that but wondered if maybe you might have done ok if you had continued. My dad died right at the beginning of the semester and (in addition to working and everything else) I was registered in two classes. Since it was right at the beginning of the semester I dropped one immediately-and got the tuition back-but plowed on through the other. It was an advanced ceramics class and not the same thing as taking a heavy academic course, but still I had to go into class and stand on a cement floor for six hours a week and do creative work at an advanced level. I think I did ok, but it certainly wasn't at the level I am used to-same as you. I think I did ok but I don't know what my final grade is...

• Upvote 2

Thanks. I know the struggle of having to do things when you don't want to and I wish you all the best with your career.

You're right no matter what but at least it's done, no matter how but I did it and that's all that matters, 

I won't regret looking back and I'm sure mom would be proud too.

• Upvote 2

I understand, because you don't have her to share them with.  Maybe write her a letter and share your news with her, I'm sure she'd like that.  I've done that with my late husband, who knows, maybe they can read them.  It can't hurt!

• Upvote 1

I think your mom is proud of you-and my dad is proud of me-just like they were when they were alive. I think this is true in two ways-one is that I think their spirits are aware of what we are doing, and the other is that as we grow, part of our character and personality is from them shaping us with their influence. In that way, they are inside and a part of us. We are them...

I know my dad was really proud of my accomplishments, and when he was alive he reinforced that with verbal statements. But I am who I am partly because I inherited his DNA, but  at least as much so because he was my hero and role model. I thought I could handle full-time graduate school along with full-time work because I saw him do it. He was a stoic and so am I. I am very much like my dad and I think it makes it harder to lose him, but to some degree I am him. I just miss the reinforcement. The same is probably true for you as well with your mom...

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I completely understand what you mean.  I lost my father about 3 months ago and I have since lost all motivation.  My boyfriend has noticed and even commented on it.  My mother went back to work and has forced motivation but it just didn't seem like I could do it.  For me though, it has been a silent struggle.  Recently, in the last week, I've forced myself to look at my books and read the chapters and do the assignments ON TIME. That hasn't happened since the accident.  I know it's hard to hear, it was for me, but forcing a bit of motivation can really help. Don't get me wrong it's hard for me still and I have nights that I have no motivation still but I force it.  After about a week, I feel much better. I'm still struggling though.  The nice thing about being in college?  Free counseling.  I know that my dad wouldn't want me to drop out of school but I know I'm not mentally ready so I'm hoping the counselor will help.  That may be something that you can look into through your school.  I've also found when you're really not ready to do exams, by talking to your professors and expressing that, they listen and want to help in any way possible. It may be worth a shot.  Maybe even think through scenarios that could occur while having those conversations that way you can be prepared and not anxious over it all.  I wish you all the best and hope that you make the right decision for you.

• Upvote 5

Thank you so much for your kind words of understanding and encouragement.

I really appreciate your efforts in such hard time. I hope you do good. Wish you all the luck.I'm sorry for yous loss and I also understand your situation.

When my mom died, a few days after I had to go for my external practical exams( that couldn't be postponed). I told the teachers at the end of the exam about my situation.
Then I had to finish my last semester and they were all really supportive.
I was absent most of the days and they understood and allowed me to take leaves but they never allowed me to drop out.

People on this forum, people around me, my family and my college staff all and my mom's belief in me.. all of these helped me and I passed the semester and I'll get my degree.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
On May 31, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Mom's angel said:

Clematis

You're so right. There is a part of them within us, thanks.

The skills and ability I've got are from my mother. My look, personality too.

Our parents are always within our hearts.

Thank you, Angel! I loved the post and the picture! I have felt like I had my dad in my heart, but feared that somehow it wouldn't last and he would be gone - no longer with me. A lot of people have reassured me that he wasn't going to leave me, but sometimes I worry...

• Upvote 1

I'm so sad I missed this post! I'm the college student that KayC had mentioned.  I'm so glad you are trying to finish the semester! Which I bet you didn't finish as its July LOL but I'm so glad!

I took a week off of school after my dad died and it was a month before my big interview for my program, which was the most important part of school! And I can tell you I almost didn't go back. My mom made me but I failed some of the tests when I returned. I got a 35 on one test that was a prereq but I didn't care. I don't really remember many months after that.

To be honest, school helped me. It gave me something to focus on and helped me not think about how bad I felt. I also knew it was something my dad wanted to finish and that's what really helped me push through. There were days when I just wept. I got so depressed I scared my grief counselor. I even cut a ton. But I'm here and I graduated.

Feel free to message me anytime, I might even message you if you don't end up seeing this soon :) 

• Upvote 2

Good to hear from you Shari!  :wub:  It helps to have your input!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...