Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Medications...

Tell me anyone....do you take Paxil and how has it treated you?  I am back to seeing if there is some way to deal with an ongoing anxiety for 15 months and have almost decided to try Paxil at 5 mg a day.  I have never taken anything like this before and have lots of reservations.  I have heard from other people and blogs that it can be a terrible medicine, even in small doses, then there are some that say it helps.  Trying to just get as much feedback as possible about this and then I may not do it after all; just keep toughing it out.  I already exercise, do yoga, am social, all of that and this anxiety just keeps coming and going.  Anybody else with this problem; just wondering....thanks, Cookie

Cookie, I started on Paxil and hated it.  It had so many side effects for me including panic attacks (which I am prone to).  I switched to Celexa which was much kinder.  I also tried Lexapro but it made me feel dead inside so I went back to C.  Since you are just looking for opinions, I would avoid Paxil.  All these meds take weeks to adjust to and feel any results.  A Google search will also show threads of people who tried them all and C and L seem to be the choice as they came afterward and were modified to lessen side effects.  It also depends on what you are seeking relief from.  Depression, anxiety, sleep problems, muddled thinking, etc.. A good doctor should be made aware of what your goal is.

Also, they are no magic bullets.  Just tools we have available to maybe help.  Some think they will fix everything and nothing does that.  They will not stop the pain of grief.  That is one thing not even chemistry can touch.

like Marg, I've found sedatives more helpful there when I go off the rails.  Anxiety can really snowball and while antidepressants can help, they can't give that immediate break we sometimes need to just stop the racing thoughts from escalating.  All my opinion, of course.

• Upvote 1

My sister took it for years and loved it (we wish she'd doubled it)...for her extreme anxiety.  She can't take it now because of a different medicine she's on and we're all sorry.