Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Losing Jim

kayc

Jim and I have been close friends for years, able to talk to each other about anything on our hearts, and I care about him very much.  A couple of years ago he scared me when he went into the hospital with CHF.  He seemed to be doing a bit better, kind of up and down.  Then recently he went into the hospital with his CHF worsening and A-Fib on the radar as well.  He got out of the hospital and was up and down with it...lately it's been worsening.  His insurance refused to cover the medication the doctor said he must be on, life or death.  The doctor prescribed another medicine as well which he was supposed to have filled Friday but the pharmacy kept giving him a run around.  Monday he was struggling to breathe so his daughter took him back to the hospital.  It took from 10 am to 5 pm for them to get him into a room.  The denied medication a friend gave him a three months supply that she'd just had filled and then been taken off of, so he was going to try to get it from the VA for the future.  His daughter is trying to find a pharmacy that carries the other medication, meanwhile the hospital has him started on it.   His resting heart rate is 138.

The cardiologist told him Friday that he should be dead, it's a miracle he's alive.  He cautioned him not to do ANYTHING, it could kill him.  They also started him with a shrink to work on some of his issues, like why he lets people take advantage of him, that he needs to start taking care of himself first, he had his first session Friday.

I have been so proud of him for the strides he's made recently, I want so much for him to live, to continue the work he's begun so he can have some happy years...I pray he doesn't die yet, but that is my fear.  His life is very tenuous right now.  I'm angry that someone knowingly exposed me to their cold Friday and Saturday and I can't go see him in the hospital, can't take that chance, today is day three after exposure so I should know by the end of the day if I'm coming down with it or not.  I want to go see him, I'm the only one he asked his daughter to call.  

I feel he's too young to be going through all this, he's only 64.  Any prayers on his behalf are coveted.  I'm feeling like everyone is going to leave me and I'll be all alone, the older I get, the more losses I endure.  I feel I'm losing my sister Peggy little by little to dementia.  Everyone I love...I'm scared. 

• Like 2

I'm so sorry, Kay. It just infuriates me that insurance companies and pharmacies now have the power to override a physician's medication prescription. What a mess has been made of our so-called healthcare system.

Certainly I will keep your dear friend Jim in my thoughts and prayers. I understand your concern about spreading an infection ~ but couldn't you take some precautionary measures that would enable you to visit Jim anyway? Such as wearing a mask, making sure to wash your hands before entering his hospital room, and avoiding any physical contact with him? It seems a shame that you cannot go to him . . .

• Like 2

Oh, Kay, I am so sorry to hear that Jim is having such a hard time. He has had an up and down time of it.  The last thing any of us should have to even think of is not being able to get the medicine we need for our health. I think Insurance companies and big pharma have ruined our country. Our doctors used to be able to oversee our health and now they have to go through insurance companies. I hope that Jim will be able to get any medicine he needs to help him. And I pray that you will be able to see him soon.💜

• Like 2

I have been thinking about the same thing about being alone as I get older.  As you know, family dynamics have changed and I am no longer in the loop.  We live in such interesting times.  We were assured by our last President that NO ONE will be rationed out  of medical care and services based on age, income, net worth, or ability to work and yet the FACTS are different than what we were promised.

KayC, My prayers and thoughts are with you as you traverse this journey.  Shalom 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyT said:

couldn't you take some precautionary measures that would enable you to visit Jim anyway?

Today he isn't up to it, I haven't even been able to talk with him, his kidneys are shutting down, his life is in God's hands now.  His daughter April is with him, I thank God for her, she's a godsend.  I should know by this afternoon if I'm going to come down with a cold or not.  I may go see him tomorrow if he's up to it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

I just got an update...he's sleeping, hasn't been up to eating today, cardiologist checked him again, they've been giving him the medicine in an IV.  The nurse said it'd be 50/50 chance of it working...well it seems to be working!  His color is coming back although his breathing is still labored.  They plan on shocking him tomorrow, I hope he can take it.  They have on the agenda, once he's stabilized to put a defibrillator in him.  I hope he can make it through all this.  If I can talk to him at some point today/tonight, I may go see him tomorrow, if he is up to it.  April is with him today but she stepped out to let him sleep.

• Like 3

I came down horribly sick yesterday and it's worse today.  I have no energy or strength to do anything, let alone drive, and no way would I expose him to this if I could drive.  I haven't been this sick in a long time.  His daughter Tammra that he didn't want to see because of her stress and drama, came in to see him yesterday along with her mom (his XW), son, friends, etc.  They were loud and stayed way too long.  April wasn't any too happy about it, too bad the hospital didn't make them leave.  I hope he got rest last night.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I wasn't on line yesterday, too sick, just saw this.  They shocked Jim, he sounds like a different person, realizes he was at death's door.  Came home from the hospital yesterday, I talked to him briefly today (I have no voice).  Will find out in a month about a defibrillator.

• Like 4