Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Tragic death of my siser

Jaye Bell

Although this site does not seem to be too active by looking at the dates of the post, I will post my story and hopefully others will reach out and can relate.

My middle sister died tragically at the age of 62 on my 60th birthday (Nov 23, 2019).  There are no words as to what I am going through.  I am currently in counseling...which is helping.  Within  5 years, I loss my mother, older brother and youngest brother and my sister.  Prior to my sister death, my younger brother's death hit me the hardest, we were very close..that's when I found a wonderful counselor and that was about 5 years ago.  However, the tragic death of my sister hit me the hardest.  She was killed by a hit and run driver on my birthday while crossing the street.  I did not find out until the next day.  I had a great 60th birthday celebration.  I am sure it was not meant for me to hear the news until the next day. 

Grieving brings out so many emotions and pass hurt and pain..that is why it is sooooo important to not sweep things under a rug and think it will go away because it won't. It will re-surface in one form or the other. It is so hard in dealing with pain whether it be from relationships, divorce, etc., but it is very necessary to deal with it because again, at some time or another , it will re-surface.  Grieving is so hard and I cannot imagine anyone going through it alone. 

• Like 1

Hello, Jaye, and welcome to this forum ~ although I am terribly sorry for the reasons that brought you here to us. You've had way more than your fair share of significant losses, and I agree completely with your statement that grief should not be borne alone. 

I offer the following in hopes that their content may speak to you in a helpful way ~ and note the links to addtional resources at the end of each:

Traumatic Loss: Surviving A Sibling's Fatal Accident

In Grief: Coping with Multiple Losses

Coping with Cumulative Losses

• Like 1

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, I lost my sister 1 1/2 years ago although not to an accident.  Having this happen on your birthday just seems all the harder as we buried my father on my other sister's birthday and it's a reminder every year.

I, too, cannot imagine going through this alone and I hope you have a good support system or at least caring friends to be there for you.  Regardless, you are welcome to come here.

17 hours ago, kayc said:

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, I lost my sister 1 1/2 years ago although not to an accident.  Having this happen on your birthday just seems all the harder as we buried my father on my other sister's birthday and it's a reminder every year.

I, too, cannot imagine going through this alone and I hope you have a good support system or at least caring friends to be there for you.  Regardless, you are welcome to come here.

Thank you kayc for reaching out.   I do have a support system..mainly counseling.   So sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. There are no words when it comes to the death of a love one. We move forward the best way possible.

• Like 1