Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My dog lost his alpha..

coop77

Recently, I was forced to put my 11-year old alpha down due to diabetes insipidus. He fought for two years and was doing amazing, until one morning I saw that he was struggling to breathe. This came out of nowhere, I have videos of him from the day before where he wasn't bloated, was breathing perfectly, and was so happy. The vet said there was nothing left to do for him and that he would experience a horrific death by the and of the day if we didn't step in, as there was fluid building in his stomach and lungs at an alarming rate. This was incredibly hard for all of my family, we thankfully were able to have a home service where a vet came out and did everything in our family room. We got to hold him, love him, and say goodbye in a place where he was most comfortable, and I couldn't ask for anything more. However, our other dog, a nine year old boy (Cooper) who has known nothing but living in a home with an alpha, has been having the hardest time grieving. Cooper acted like a puppy up until the day came when we had to put his brother down, always playing, running.. just high energy in general. Cooper was able to witness the death and smell the body (recommended by the vet), but we could immediately tell something was off. Cooper now is uninterested in playing, eating, walks, etc. He sleeps all day tucked up with the alphas old toy, has high levels of anxiety to the point he makes himself throw up, and he is just all around lost. We can't leave the house for more than five minutes, and if he can't physically see us he begins to pace and panic. We don't know what else to do, we have tried everything our vet told us to, such as medicine, CBD, behavioral techniques. I don't know if anyone has experienced this before, but we really need help. Cooper cannot live with this amount of grief, sadness, or anxiety, we just want him to be happy again. I'll try anything to help my little guy.

Thank you in advance, simply for just reading this!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@coop77  I am so sorry for your loss!  I check every day and your post just showed up so not sure what happened, you're not the only one that was in this glitch.  :(  You helped your dog out of pain and suffering, what any good pet owner would do for the dog they love.  (((hugs)))

I want to leave you with this article to help your other dog...
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2018/06/pet-loss-supporting-your-grieving-pet.html

• Like 3

I would like to offer this since you seem like you might be open to the idea: https://www.greenhopeessences.com/essences/grief-and-loss

These are non-chemical, and don't interfere with any medications, just helps the emotional aspect of the animal's sense of loss that you cannot address verbally.  I found it worked when we tried it out of desperation.  I feel you have nothing to lose by trying and if it brings him relief, then you all will be helped.  If not, no harm done.

• Like 3

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Although I don't have any advice for your other dog, I do understand the unfortunate passing of your 11 year old. My 11 year old also passed due to sudden and extremely laboured breathing, until he had no breath left.

I'd probably be driving myself crazy all over the internet to find help for a bonded pet. I can say I'm glad you reached out. I've been helped thru my grieving process (still ongoing) from this group, as well as reading the articles and eventually making my own remembrance post for my sweet boy I lost on January. All the best and I wish your family and Cooper peace and answers. xoxo

20200108_173919.jpg

• Like 3