Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Queen Elizabeth II

I was from North London, was born and grew up there, but had always held a special love for Italy, my parents' birthplace (they had emigrated to the UK in the 60s,like so many others did in those yrs, a lot went to the States). Thanks to them, I now have the privilege of speaking both languages, I've now been living here now for almost 30 yrs, a few more than I actually spent in UK. I would never go back to living there, I love this place, I met my husband here, created our family here, our house, our life. My heart is here and always will be. I remember that, at least in the environment I lived in, there wasn't much interest in the royals, but no negativeness either, they were just there, part of the State, accepted by all, didn't do us any harm, so I have nothing against them. Diana was special, she really was the 'people's princess'. I am proud to have my roots in such a civilised country, if there's one thing I miss, it's their efficiency, and punctuality too. 

I can understand how your dear wife would have been glued to the screen now, I admit I was too at first. Our Queen  was an icon, a real example of how a great monarch should behave,incomparable and unsurmountable. 

• Like 1

At least it was a peaceful death.  So many have it so much worse.  It would be hard for me if the death of my loved ones was so public. 

• Like 2

Yes.  Lord knows it was hard enough when my sister died.  The person missing from my everyday life.  I reckon they don't know anything else but the public life.  

• Like 1

"Why are so many of us mourning a queen we never met? Is it about Elizabeth II the person, or what she represented for Britain and the world – or us, and our apparently unrelated sorrows? We talk to psychotherapists, anthropologists – and the bereaved."  We need to find our kin, people who speak the same language’: the power of shared grief, from Covid to the Queen

• Like 2