Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Memory Bears

Hello everybody...

I was wondering if anyone has seen or made a Memory Bear or something similar. I have a pair of bib overalls of my Dad's as well as several of his bandanna hankies (he always carried on in the top pocket). I'd like to take those and make a bear from them. I've seen websites for a couple of folks who make them, but I think it would mean even more to me if I made it myself. I was online last night and found a lot of teddy bear patterns, but they didn't seem to be quite what I was looking for (besides, it will have to be simple...I'm not too terribly crafty :P ) Have any of you made these before and have instructions? Or perhaps a different, yet creative idea?

Thanks a heap!

Leann

Leann,

I hadn't heard of this although I'd heard of making a patchwork quilt from remnants of material or from their clothing. I like the idea of the bear, though, to really hold onto. I have a sweater of my mom's that I haven't decided what to do with and it would be lovely as a bear. So, I hope to hear from others how to do it. Thanks for the idea.

Beth

Edited by Beth714

Hi, Beth...

I hadn't thought about a quilt...that's a neat idea, too. We have a lot of my Dad's clothing; my brother and I can't bear the thought of giving them away. Perhaps a quilt for my Mom, brother, and I each made from his shirts would be nice. Thanks so much for the idea.

Leann

Hi Leeann,

I really did not think at first that scrapbooking was very fun but know I live for it... I have my neice I live with doing it with me... I think now that the ideal of making pictures into something to treasure thrills me alot...My family likes that I have a new hobbie and maybe their right I should do something so I can keep busy and take my mind of grief for a little while.... Take care Shelley

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, this topic is amazing. I love it! Memory Bears! I never would have thought of that. :) I consider myself a creative person, though not much of a sewer. I love bears, though, so I think I might have to run with this idea.

Only thing is, I don't particularly want to cut up the few shirts of my dad's I have...maybe when I visit my grandmother's I can find more, or some other material, to make a bear from. Thank you for posting this, Leann, and thank you MartyT for the link.

This has made my day (night) suddenly so much better. :)

I think it's a great idea. I don't want to cut up my dad's clothes (don't know if I'll ever be ready for that), but I discovered that you can have photo blankets or pillows done. In case you want something to cuddle, you can have a big photo of your loved one on a pillow or blanket. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think memory bears is a great idea, I do not sew and so I have bought plain bears and added things from things that remind me of my loved ones I use glue guns or anyway I can to make the clothes... I also do scrapbooks of my lost loved ones... The Hospice I went to started a class for their clients who were interested in doing something as a memory keeper... Shelley

We took an entire box of Teddy Bears out of Dad's apartment, he had saved everyone I had given him since I was a child. Each member of the family got one including cousins and grandbabies. We all agreed that the remaining 43 would go to the hopice/intensive care unit where dad passed, that way, he can continue to pay it forward. Just a thought.

Patti