Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Now I'm Losing My Aunt

Leann

I just got off the phone with my cousin Kim. She called to tell me that her Mom (my Mom's sister) is not doing well at all and the doctor has said that it's only a matter of time. According to Kim, Aunt Betty is pretty much just breathing right now. First my Uncle Paul (my Aunt Betty's husband) passes away in April of this year, next was the lady who was like my second mother to me, then my Dad in June, and now possibly my Aunt Betty. All I could say was oh no, oh no....

This will make my Mom the last living member of her family. What will we tell her.....how will we tell her? She just lost my Dad.....My mind is just spinning right now....

I feel like I'm losing my family right and left. :(

Leann

Leann,

I'm so sorry. We lost my uncle first, then my dad, my moms cousin, one of our babies (our cats) and a family friend in two and a half months. A few months later one of my moms dear friends passed away. So I know how you feel and it is just plain overwhelming. Just try to take day at a time and do the best you can. It is going to be hard to tell your mom, but if she's still in the numb, shock stage of your dads death, she may "take it" better than you expect. I hope so.

Hang in there, I know how hard it is.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi, everybody:

My aunt passed away yesterday afternoon around 4 pm. She had been sick for so long. My brother and I told our Mom this morning and she didn't seem surprised. Hopefully, she's doing ok.

Hugs to all,

Leann

Thanks so much everybody. My aunt's funeral was yesterday. I knew it would be hard, but I just wasn't prepared for how bad my aunt looked. The Alzheimer's Disease had overtaken her. My cousin told me things had gotten to the point where she couldn't eat and she hadn't had solid food for the past two weeks. They had been attempting a liquid diet with her, but a person can only last so long on that. My rational mind knew Aunt Betty had been sick for a long time;my cousin and I talk on a regular basis. So I thought I was relatively prepared for this one. However, when I walked up to her casket to see her, I felt like somebody had punched me in the stomach yet again. Aunt Betty was always a rather robust, spunky gal....now she looked like she weighed a hundered pounds, if that much. So I'm doing my best to hold on to the memory of that spunky, opinionated gal. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. I took another day off of work today....I am just exhausted again.

Hugs to all,

Leann