Grief Healing Discussion Groups

We had a topic tonight at our greif support group that I thought would be interesing to see what your responses would be. The question was this..."Do you feel like you are a stronger person because of the death of your spouse and if so why" We were dealing with several things tonight so not everyone elobrated on this but most siad that yes they feel like they are a stronger person. I was one of the yes people, since Karen has died I have realized that if I can get through this I czn get through anything. I lost faith at the begining and now I have a stronger realtionship with God then I had before. I can really realize what the Bible says "I can do all things through God which strengthens me" So anyway, I wanted to know all of your thoughts.

Love Always

Derek

Yes, I am definately stronger. It's been two years now and I've gone through the same things as everyone else but my health is better, my feelings are better and my head, heart and hands are working together. What goes on in my head leads to my heart and I follow through performing better in my life. I am daily becoming what God created me in the beginning to become. I am more careful listening to others and slow to reply with caring. I know my husband is proud of what I am becoming daily. God has good plans for me and, keeping my heart and mind open for whatever it is, I will do it. You sound like a wonderful person, Derek. Bless your heart.

KarenB

Derek

I think i am also.there was a time that i thought i would never survive, i doubted my faith and everything. i was definitley lost. it was the darkest place i have ever been. i meet with my priest often (which has helped me so much) and one day he told me you are courageous . Fr. said courage is not the lack of fear but the strength to keep going on, and i have. We all have so i think we all are a little stronger and courageous. have a good trip visiting your brother. how is Carson doing? God Bless Lori

DEREC IM in the stage that as you say Im definitely lost but reading your post doday made me feel maybe I can survive.It is a blessing tha I found you pe ople.Keep strong so that you give some of your strength to us that need it. TENY

I am definately stronger. I am also a lot stronger than I EVER thought I would be. I just keep going - what other choice do we have? I have family that would never forgive me if I didn't keep going.

I'm going through some rough times, financially, right now, but I'm bound and determined I'm going to get through this SOMEHOW!!! I may end of having to sell my house and move on, but I'm going to persevere!

Charlie will have been gone 3 years in November and I never thought I would make it this far alone, but I have! WE ALL HAVE!!!! In a huge part to all of you, I'm going to be OK. Thanks for being there!

Hugs to everyone,

Patti

I hope you have a wonderful visit....a long way from Texas. It would be nice to meet someone from our "group" but I have to be gone. You have fun with your brother and let us know how your trip went. We are definately getting stronger and stronger....all of us.

Karen

Teny,

I think I gain some of my strength from helping you all. I believe that if yo want to keep something you have to give it away. If you think about it, it is true. I have been and will continue to pray for you, looking back at when this first happened to me and I turned away from God, he was carrying me the whole time. Some of the actions I took were because He led me He gave me the clarity of mind to do them. When we are going through our roughest times God carries us through. Teny, I know that God is carrying you right now, yo may not feel it or realize it, but he is. I will continue to pray for you that you will find the peace that only He can give.

Love always

Derek

Derek,

I am definitely stronger. I am learning to make it on my own, to live alone, and I've been supporting myself, by myself, for over two years now, and I've made it, in spite of the loss of my job and some real financial setbacks (I am not a rich widow...I ended up in the hole)...and I've done so without ever being late for a payment. But it is more than just financial. It is learning to deal with things that in and of themselves would sink a lot of people, yet we've had to deal with a LOT of stuff, not just one or two. We've dealt with emotions, how to fix things we don't know anything about, make financial decisions, make attitude decisions, we've been through change of friends, you name it. I have learned so much from this experience, that I am finally at the point where I can be thankful in it...I miss George, I never wanted him gone, I'd love to have him back, but in the absence of that, I have gleaned some other things...like you are talking about, strength, lessons.

I, too, have wondered how Carson is doing...have a good time with your brother and travel safely. God bless you, dear friend.

Hello all,

To answer your question, Carson is doing very well, he is at a christian daycare for the summer and they keep them very active with physical activities and field trips. He has his moments when he gets in trouble for stuff, I am sure that he is acting out the only way he knows how. We are still going to the WARM Place for out Grief support group although I am thinking of ending that soon. I am ready to go, I just want to make sure he is ready so as soon as we get back from vacation I will talk to the faciltors to see how he is doing. This topic has had some great feedback and it was good to hear from all of you.