Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hello all.

I wanted to post this on a different topic. I ask all of you to pray for me during the next few weeks, there are some things going on at work that are some big changes. One of these changes opens up the possibility of a Supervisor role for myself. The position would allow me to earn more over the next few years where as right now I am pretty close to being capped on my salary. I am trying to decide if I should accept the position if it is offered to me or not. I am going to aply for it, however I will have the option to decline. I am doing fine with the salary that I make now, I have more than what I need to make it, so the money is not the issue. I would have to go back out to driving around town, I would lose my office and a few other minor perks. I would most likely have to work more overtime here and there as I would have to take care of customers so if I am stuck trying to fix a machine at 5:00 I can't just drop it and leave. It shouldn't be too much of a problem I have several friends and family in the area that can get Carson picked up for me. My current job has lost the challenge and I have gotten confortable in it. So this new postion would take me out of my comfort zone and definately will be challenging. I guess the hard part for me is I have worked under my current boss now for 8 years now and we have a good relationship, we have become good friends while being able to separate work and friendship. The friendship would continue I guess it will just seem strange if I am no longer working for him. All I ask is that you all pray for me and I ask for God's guidence for what he would have me to do. Part of me thinks this has come along to allow me to earn more money so that I can put it into savings, as some of you know I am wanting to get a degree that will allow me to teach in elementary school. When that comes about, it will be a pay cut, so if I can put away now then the pay cut will not be as hard later. Anyway I wanted to share this with you all my friends and on-line family.

Love always

Derek

Of course, I pray that you'll be guided. God puts in our paths things that we can take of and has given us our will....have you done a "pro and con's list"? Derek, your goal is admirable...I think you are a very caring, feeling person, so? My grandson is 25, has had good college background, assistant coaching at a college right now, and still has questions, like you, as to what to do!!!! I just would trust your intuition...it seems to be good. I very much want to know how you go on this. Your Karen is on your shoulder....she's helping you. Have a peaceful night, my friend.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Derek,

Such decisions are almost always tough. I usually ask myself if any reservations I have are based in fear ("can I do it?") or on some deeper intuition ("something doesn't seem right about this"). In my experience as long as it fits your needs and lifestyle and doesn't seem to require any compromises over your family responsibilities, don't hold back because it's challenging. You'll probably surprise yourself at how well you do, which will take you to new levels of fulfillment.

If you stay where you're at, you may die a little, if it's no longer a challenge.

Just some random thoughts for what they are worth. I am juggling similar things right now. I have a great full time contract that should keep me going for at least another year (I'm a software developer). But I got an offer to write a technical book yesterday -- something I haven't done in about 12 years and that would be good for my career. My first impulse was to turn it down ... this grief business is a full time job as it is. But Linda taught me several different kinds of what I call "mental Jiu Jitsu". Ways of thinking outside the box and looking at ways to make things happen when at first glance it doesn't seem doable. It occurred to me that if they would change the focus of the book a little so that in the process of doing the book I'd be mastering a skill that is useful in my current work, and if I trimmed my hours I'm working on my other job a little, and got a couple of co-authors to help out, I could maybe pull it off. So I counter-proposed that. We'll see what happens. It never hurts to ask.

--Bob

Derek & Bob,

I will keep both of you in my prayers for guidance and direction as you are making these very important decisions in your lives. I believe you will both make the correct choices. ;)

Hugs & prayers,

Corinne

Derek,

I will pray for you for direction and that you will receive confirmation as to what you are to do. I will refrain from offering my personal instinct...

It sounds like you have an exciting future!

Okay, you asked for it! :)

I know it's really easy to get into that comfort zone and choose to stay there...but sometimes what is easiest is not always what is best. Carson should be your first consideration, but you've already said you have a good support system...beyond that, financial consideration for his future is also a consideration. But it's really important that we stretch ourselves and grow and this new opportunity may be just a way of doing that. I believe you are a very capable person and this can be a way of proving it! Your desire to get your degree is also something to consider and this can be a way of helping you to achieve that ends. Good luck, Derek, I wish you the best future possible! I believe in you!

Thanks Kay,

That is why I posted the topic, I wanted to get other peoples thoughts on this. I know I can do it, at the same time I just need to make sure it isn't going to take too much of my time away from Carson. I know there will be some days where I will have to work late but that isn't going to be an every night thing so it shouldn't be too bad. The other part is I am going from some what of job security to less security being that I would be changing departments. Anyway, we will see how it goes and I will keep everyone informed.

Love always

Derek

Derek

I always try to pray before i make a decision. i have come to realixe it gives me comfort and helps me focus better.

I to had been offered a position a while back and wasn't sure to take it, i didn't. then it came up again and i took it. i think the first time was wrong for me for many reasons and i realized that . i knew if i didn't take it i possibly could not be asked but i took my chances. when it came around again i was in a better place and knew in my heart it was right.

How is Carson doing? Has the therapy been helping? Is school getting better? i am praying for him.

Lori

I have prayed about it and will see where God takes me. Carson is doing fine, we had the first appointment last night and it went well. I was very impressed with the counselor, he is Christian based which I didn't know before hand, so again God is leading me in the directions I need to go. It is too early to tell how it will all turn out. School for him is going good. Thanks for asking and for keeping me in your thoughts

Love always

Derek

Derek

I just think its wonderful about your new job opportunity. My only concern was Carson, but you have assured us taht he will not be neglected in any way. For me this is a sure sign of your healing...being able to take on a new challenge at work, and I love the way you are parying about each new plan. the Bible says" commit all your plans to God, and they will succeed. " I claim this verse for you. Its 7 months for me since my loss, and my prayer is that God will energise me at work, motivate me to be effective and productive. I also have prayed that God find another new job for me, but only in HIS time, cause His timing is perfect

Take Care

Erica