Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Valentine's Day

Today is the day we are supposed to say "Happy Valentine's Day"...yet how do you say that to one who is grieving? I mean, like, how happy can it be? Does it just bounce off as an empty platitude? Yet I DO wish each of you a truly happy valentine's day...I know it's not like having your loved one here, it's not like in times past, and it's not that kind of happy. But since you can't have that right now, I wish for you a different kind of happy, the kind that we CAN have, one that says there are still people who care about you, one that gives you a smile sometime throughout the day, one that says there is hope and a future. Right now that is hardest for those who are newly going through this, but I want you to know that it will get better, even for you.

George was a romantic, he used to leave little love notes all around where I would find them...in the bathroom cabinet, on the computer, wherever he thought I would find them. For those who know me, they know I have one of the greatest stamping collections there are (for making cards, etc.), more stamps, inks, doo-dads, and what not to make cards with, yet George could somehow manage to find yet one more thing or one more stamp that I didn't have, that would be my taste, something I would love...a feat even my daughter would get stumped at. He always knew just the right thing to say, do, or buy. I don't have that now, I have someone who isn't romantic, doesn't remember dates, isn't much on buying cards or gifts, so I've learned to let that go...yet this morning he called and wished me a Happy Valentine's Day...which surprised me. I thought he would forget, he's asked me a couple of times in the last couple of weeks when it was, as if trying really hard to remember. :rolleyes::) I've learned to appreciate what is rather than lament over what isn't. And I bought bagels and cream cheese for everybody at work...I figured it's not so much what anyone does for me as what I can do for them, and I can, in my own way, show love to others on this day. I sent some cards, made some calls...this is a day to EXPRESS love and appreciation, not just receive it. It is also a day to stop and remember with a smile that person that made your heart beat, that person that never forgot you, that didn't leave on their accord, but were called away...until we can see them again.

To each of you, my dear friends here on this site, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! I love you all!

KayC

Kay that was beautiful...this is my second valentines's day without Bruce. I have to say that this one was not as bad as last year...well last year Bruce was just gone a little over three weeks. But with that said it still hurts that there is not the love of my life not here...we did not do much for valentine's day but he always had a sexy funny card for me and roses..I would get him his new coffee mug with chocolates and a card. So I don't think that it is the gift that I miss so much as him..but then there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him and wish that he was still here with me. Gail :wub:

Thanks KayC for the Valentines wishes! Today I'm trying to focus on the wonderful memories of Valentines Day with Larry. He loved to surprise me and I miss the smile on his face. I'd give anything today to hear his voice. I wish for all of you the strength to get thru this day and some peace. I will miss you Larry always, Happy Valentines Day, Deb, Maggie and Kasey

Edited by LarrysGirl

My friends,

You are not going to believe this!!!! Every Valentine's Day my Jack would buy me a necklace, earings, that kind of jewelry and it was heart shaped. I was thinking about that this morning. With the little sun we have around here I went outside in the back to do a little yard work. I snipped, raked, etc. After about a half an hour I took my tools into the courtyard area so I could oil them and when I walked by the stand I have there to put plants on, something sparkled and got my attention. I also have wood carvings there, one my sister cared into a cowboy's boot. Believe this or not, there was a gold heart-shaped pendant lying on the toe of the cowboy boot. It wasn't mine. I've never seen it there before and no one's been to my house. All I could think of is that Jack must have wanted me to have a Valentine's Day present, even from beyond. You can guess I'll treasure this forever. AMAZING!

Your friend, Karen :wub::wub::wub:

Karen,

How exciting! That is just too special!

Hello old friends, I was thinking of you all today and wanted to say hello and send some warm thoughts to you. Karen- amazing story, gave me goosebumps, there's no other way to explain it than it's a gift from Jack!

Today I realized how meaningful 'hope' has been to me over the past (almost!) 2 years. The minister said to fill the void with hope. I didn't understand but was willing to give anything a try. Without hope, I don't think I could have come this far in just 2 years. Hope that Josh is doing well, hope that life can go on, hope that someday things will be better, hope to see Josh again, hope that my life will someday be more happy than sad, hope that I can go on. Well, somehow, it happened! Actually, I realized today that my life is now in a place that is even more wonderful than I could have ever hoped for. I am so glad that I didn't give up on life and on hope that I could be happy again.

So I hope ;) that this story doesn't cause anyone angst... just thought wanted to let someone else know how powerful "hope" really can be.

With much love and hope for everyone here,

Kelly :wub:

My heart warms reading this topic. I guess hope is what keeps us going all this time, sometimes it may flicker yet we keep it burning to survive. Hopefully, things will get better one day too. I am actually looking forward to that day that I could be happy again. I believe it will come soon. For now, I am learning to savor the little joy that come my way. Happy Valentines my dear friends. :wub:

Kelly,

How my heart warmed to read your post! Hope is indeed powerful, it is an action, something we do, and it takes effort, tying hand in hand with faith. I, too, have learned how important it is that we work at going through this rather than being stuck in a certain spot. I have learned to live alone and I can honestly say that today is much happier than 2 years and 8 months ago was for me. It's been a process, an evolution, and for me, it wasn't until the 3rd year that things started coming together for me, so you are miles ahead of where I was at under 2 years. I have learned that I am okay, just me, myself, I do not need to be a Mrs. Somebody or be married to be completed. Having someone to share life with enriches it, but that does not mean that a sunset that I view alone is any less beautiful. I guess this learning who we are is a very valuable part of this journey...sometimes we can be with someone so long that we lose sight of that.

KayC