Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Unethical Lawyer

Hi Guys, some of you know Myrna died suddenly last march, I came across her medical records a few days ago from my files, well, She and I decided to sue the doctors for negligence and malpractice, the doctors saw cancer in september, probably stage 1 or II curable, did not do anything, it progressed into stage 4B rapidly and I personally dont think it just came out of the blue in a month, by then it was too late, I just want vindication, the lawyer says we have a case, after her death retracts the comment, and never contacted me again since september, well the stautues of limitation is next month, and I feel he deliberately and hastily dragged it out doing nothing! I came to the idea of reporting him to the AZ bar, I do not know if I should pursue it or not, it hurts to just let this go and dishonor her memory and the suffering we have gone through. Should it be laid to rest or should it somehow be addressed?

William,

Since this attorney dropped the ball, I would take the case / evidence to another one -- get some recommendations.

Once you have a professional opinion then you have to ask yourself if what is to be gained is worth the mental and emotional stress of pursuing it.

Some questions I'd want the answers to:

1. Will you be risking any money or will the attorney take the case on a contingency basis?

2. Will others be harmed if you don't act? Is there general incompetence to be exposed?

3. What are the odds of winning?

4. What will be required of you? Testimony? Deposition? Are you prepared to go through that and accept the grief it might trigger?

Obviously the potential monetary award has to be considered but no amount of money will do you any good or provide any vindication if you push yourself over the edge or become physically ill in the process. There is something to be said for peace of mind.

--Bob

Bob,

You really opened my eyes on this one, I never have thought it may open some wounds or anything you mentioned. I suppose I see what the other lawyer says and if its no-go I am going to have to reconcile this issue, very insightful! thanks! Karen, Wendy, I agree wholeheartedly :wub: I add the stress will very likely make me ill again, Its not worth that much when it sums up

Blessings

William,

I have a tendency to look at things the way Bob does. When John passed I could have sued all the bars where we lived for serving him after he was intoxicated. I thought about it and the pain it would cause and the amount of time it would take until it was all over was not worth it to me, so needless to say I did not bother. It would not have brought him back and it would have caused too much pain. Everyone is different though and needs to make their own decisions.

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

Corinne, good to hear from you :) well, I agree, its not worth it, you got a good point, suing the bars for his demise, obviously is vain just like my intentions would be if I pursue this, I realize its not really going to do a speck of difference for me or my health. I hesitantly am going to let it go if the lawyers review or don't call back. Well God will judge them for their doings. :closedeyes:

Hi William, I've thought I'd share with you the struggle that I've been going thru since Larry died. He died two yrs, 3 months ago, while waiting for a transplant. He was on the wait list over four years. Throughout his illness we had to deal with several hospitals, transplant facilities and so many doctors. The day he died, people could hear me screaming that they had murdered him. There had been so many blunders and mistakes. I fought for his life and he held on so strong and brave. Since his death I've felt very strongly in pursuing some kind of law suit. Gathering evidence, speaking to doctors, lawyers, etc. were overwhelming. As I approached the statue of limitations I was grieving the 2nd anniversary and his birthday the very next day. I tried to pull it all together but I became physically and mentally exhausted. I feel like I've gone into a depression since that day. It was never about money. I wanted someone to be accountable and to explain the many errors that were made. I intend in purusing some sort of investigation for my own personal peace but mainly to try and prevent this from happening to others. I intend to try to raise awareness for organ donation also for people need to understand the extreme shortage of organs and how many die waiting for one. William, trust your heart and do what you think is best. Deborah

Deborah, I am so sad about what you went through, I feel the same way about it, I dont care about the money, just punishment and like you, prevent someone else fall victim to this selfishness and greed, among the lack of compassion. 4 years, I dont understand really how they could let it go like that? what was his priority level, was he listed at top level transplant? it really is a case of negligence, I seen how they act, they do not hide themselves, they lack the morals, Deborah, I been thinking alot, what Myrna and my faith would say about it, and if it causes me more pain, more suffering, I am defeating the purpose of my promise to her to be happy and well. I try to give it to God, but I take it back and just cant find within myself the rational thought about this, my emotions are anger, resentment, pain for her suffering. your input among others revealed to me the costs of the issue, and I cannot afford to get sick again.

Love,

Bob made some very good points to consider, that only you, William, can decide for yourself. If it is therapeutic for you to go ahead with it or if you feel you need to ensure this doesn't happen to someone else and you can handle the stress of it, go for it. Deborah's situation is something to ponder, although I realize the answer will be different for different people.

Kay, I been debating and thinking, another lawyer never called, so I called a large firm, and I decided if they cant do anything, I have to let it go, sometimes my emotions get so strong about the suffering she and I went through, all my life I let things go so easily, and I need to be bold and strong, standing up for myself. Maybe this will prove to me that I can fight my own battles now. The evidence is too strong to prove they shouldve done something in September,but they didnt do anything, though they knew something was amiss, I put my trust in God, all I can do right?

William,

I will pray God will direct you in what you should do. Alot of people told me I should sue the doctor for not having sent George to a Cardiologist when he complained that whole last year, esp. after the car accident that should have been a huge red flag. But I did not know 100% for sure whether the doctor had told him to and he hadn't, or whether the doctor just never sent him...George's drug use changed everything for me. Had it not been for that, I might have found myself in a lawsuit because I'm one that strongly believes in people being accountable and sometimes it takes legislating behavior to bring that about. However, when a person loses their spouse, they aren't always able to fight for a cause, they are tired, depressed, fragile, and sometimes just getting out of bed in the morning can seem too much for them...so I really feel it's up to the individual as to whether or not they take on this fight or not. I guess the question to ask yourself is, will it make you feel better or worse, because right now, William, you are what matters.

Kay, I need all the prayer as possible, I feel fight against so many forces at work, drug use changes everything in a doctors eyes I believe, they would attribute anything to it if possible, I feel the same way about making people accountable for their actions, more so with those people trust, maybe too much in my case, I wanted her to be happy but whith all her friends around 24/7 I was tired to pursue anything since they attacked me and diminished my role and coerced her into just going home. I believed she couldve gotten better, I know now she didnt take it seriously her illness, and she doesnt have to suffer anymore. I suffer everyday, the suicide attempt in March, the depression, finances, loneliness, in fact a doctor years ago caused me to have renal failure several times, edema in my legs, chrohns out of control and they didnt do much for it but telling me to go to the ER, I gave up and prayed, since then it has been manageable but sometimes I think all my health issues may have weakened her immune system enough to allow the cancer to proliferate. I dont know what to do anymore, just frustrated and tired all the time, thinking of all the things that happened.