Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I'm Too Old To Be A Bag Lady

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Friends, I realize this is not a job Forum...it is a Grief Forum...I need your support & Prayers as I try to obtain work..It has been 1 year since I had a Job, & a Year & a Half since Pat died...I was a Realtor...& have sold furniture, & lighting fixtures...as well.

I networked yesterday with my old contacts & it was all doom & gloom...no one is making any money. My friend has a husband that manages a Wal Mart, & she said she'd check with him & see what they have open. I called my former sisterinlaw today, & asked how her business was doing, great, we just bought out 30 stores that went out of business...I said good I'm looking for a Job. ...Oh, we just laid 3 people off...we'll keep you in mind!

I feel terribly beaten down today, old, poor, depressed,alone...it seems like everyone is doing better than me, they all have spouses to manage the extra income, nails & toe nails are manicured, etc. A haircut now is a luxury for me.

So picture this...Vickie O'Neil going down the street with a shopping cart...4 dogs tied on the back of the cart & a cat in the carrier...where to now St. Peter?. I live in Phoenix, AZ if anyone has any leads, ideas suggestions.

Love, Vickie

Oh Yes I certainly agree.. no bag ladyship for you!

I am sorry I do not have any leads whatsoever... as I am waaay across the country here. But I will storm heavin for you ... St. Peter, St. Joseph and anyone else who will listen to me!

You have my thoughts and prayers. Surely things can't stay this bad forever with the economy. Here's hoping you are posting soon enough about your new job!

((((((hugs)))))

leeann

Vickie,

Have you made a resume? What all places on line did you sign up with? Have you gone to the employment office? Oregon has a section called Workforce Network that is free and you don't have to qualify for unemployment to sign up for it, they give help with your resume, job search, have job listings, etc. There's also Craigslist (that's how I got my job), employment agencies (don't sign with any that require you to pay...I learned that one the hard way), they assess your skills, etc. I haven't had much luck with monsterjobs.com but I signed up with any and all, it can't hurt. I went about it full time, it took me 5 1/2 months and the last two months I was at it from 6:00 am to midnight, but I worked at it every other day, so I could keep my outlook upbeat...if you do it every day (face rejection), it's hard to remain in a positive frame of mind and they can pick up on it. Check classifieds, but there isn't a lot in there, still, it never hurts.

You can update your wardrobe through Goodwill on a shoestring budget (I did, and buttons and altering can restore a blazer to something catchy!). I had a "first interview" outfit, a "second interview" outfit, and a "third interview" outfit so I wouldn't have trouble remembering what I'd already worn in front of them (I was top three contender for about a dozen places).

Also, remember when you go to a place to try to fit in with your attire...don't wear the same thing at a crude steel shop as you would at an upscale attorney's office...I picked a blazer that would fit in anywhere and varied slacks according to the place, same with jewelry.

Networking is the best way to get a job. Talk to friends, neighbors, people at church, restaurants, etc...talk to friends of friends! Practically wear a sign that says "I want a job!" There was even a guy here in Eugene that put a sign out in front of his house and the local newspaper (The Register Guard) carried the story and the result was, he got some job offers and took one! I guess the key is never give up and use whatever innovation you can muster to get a lead. Flyers??? No bag lady for you! We will be looking for the day you post "I got a job!!" and we'll be in the sidelines, cheering! And this is a great place to post because this is something that fellow grievers go through...many of us have found our lives turned upside down and have found ourselves in the same boat.

vickie - also try emailing every single person you know in your address book - can't hurt. I had a friend who was desperate to sell her house and got responses from doing that. This is out there, but what about vets' offices or pet grooming services -I know you love your dogs and you have good experience right there. Not great pay, but maybe an opening. No bag lady status for you - too ornery and too strong! Love, Marsha

Go to abcnews.go.com/GMA and put job search in the search engine. There are a lot of suggestions. They even are sponsoring job fairs across the country and as big as Phoenix is I would think they might come there. You could email them to put a bug in their ear if you want to be proactive. They also have a "job club" that I don't know anything about but I'm sure you could find it on the site.

What about a medical clinic? I know one thing that is hiring in most places are people to do medical coding. You would probably have to take a course but while you're looking you wouldn't have anything to lose. A lot of them set you up in your home to do this. I have a friend who switched from a xray technologist to this because she only has to go "in" to work 2 days a week.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Thanks everybody that responded to me, you warmed my heart! KayC you had many great suggestions. Marsha I did send out the email to my contacts this afternoon, so weird no one has acknowledged receiving it...I guess they just don't know what to say. ..& for sure I'm impatient...I seem to have lost my Balance....Pat was a Libra

Lee Ann, Mary Linda, just keep me in your Prayers...I see I need to join the Dementia group, & I apologize for the double post.

I shall take tomorrow & pay all those bills piled up, & attack the job hunt again on Thursday.

Love Vickie

Vickie,

I've been on the same path as you and just got a job after looking for 14 months. I lost mine 5 months after Bob died because I "lacked follow through." It is a full-time job just looking for work! While it is important and necessary, I hope you are also taking time to heal. I wish you luck on your search and believe me when I say I don't envy you! It's a tough economy, but the right door will open when you are ready for it. (I went into panic a few times when I was close to getting one. The thought of working full-time was so overwhelming.) It's taking me a while to adjust to the new schedule. I haven't had to be mentalllly alert for a full eight hours in a very long time, but I'm very happy with the position and the people. Keep on believing, my dear.

I'm glad you are posting here. Bob was my balance, also, and I miss having him around as he was always so encouraging and supportive. So, we'll do our best to meet that need for you.

Hi Vickie,

I went back to work about 6 months after my Lawrence passed, then my mother passed and I got fired just about 2 or so weeks ago. I did like the job however I was taking care of people and not taking care of myself, it was my doing and I accept that. I am now looking for work and I will keep you all posted as my search goes on as yours, so I am sure in time we will both be posting we got the job. As you my balance is gone times 2 however I have go to keep going. Kay you always give good advice, I am just back from a trip from Va where my daughter is planning to move and while there I got my first interviewing outfit for 15 bucks and am going to follow your advice about getting 2 to 3 more most likely from my closet however I will get them together and ready,, Vickie we will find jobs just keep pushing on and it is a full-time job trying to find one. We will get one. No bags here.

Jackie