Grief Healing Discussion Groups

In Case Of An Emergency

At my place of business our Human Resources department has implemented a new system where your personal demographic information can be changed on-line instead of putting in forms. I have yet to change my beneficiary on my 401(k). But there is a category - Emergency Contact Change. It still shows Alex with my home phone and that he is my spouse. I just started to cry at work. Just seeing his name and personal information in my records made me get very upset. But what is also upsetting is that I don't know who to put down in case of emergency. The only ones that I would put are out of state. I have friends but they don't live in Brooklyn. They live within an hour from me. I don't know if I should put down my neighbors. I would not want that burden on them. Most of my family I rarely speak to except once in a couple of months. I know this is a personal thing, but if anyone could suggest anything that would be so helpful.

Boy, the things that you figure you have to take care of.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

Jeanne - that's a tough one, and I haven't quite figured it out, either. After Joe died, I changed my health care power of attorney to our niece (but she's in PA), and a good friend of mine who is close here. I'm their power of attorney as well. All of our parents are gone. So I put them down, or my brother, who's in NJ. I figure they're a day's drive away. But still, it's the feeling of being alone in this kind of situation that just makes me so -- sad, depressed, heartbroken, panicky - pick one. I would suggest that if you're close to one of your neighbors, put them down, with their consent, and they can just act as the front line until your friends/family are called. I hear you on this!! Hugs, Marsha

I'm sorry Jeannie, I do know how that feels, it seems like a cold hard reminder...and changing it makes you feel like they're getting that much more removed from you and it all hurts. Have your cry, we understand!

Love,

Kay

I would pick someone that I trusted that would carry out my wishes no matter where they live. It's not a matter of expediency when it comes to someone passing and most things can be done through a fax or e-mail. I know this because I am Tom's Personal Representative for his estate and his will is in probate court. Paula

I had a tough time this week, as I finally got around to applying for the death/survivor's/children's benefit. I had to gather up birth certificates, death certificates, etc to get certified true copies. Another blast of reality.

In regards to an emergency contact, I haven't gotten around to that yet, either. I haven't decided who it will be, but I think that as long as that person is easily contactable by phone or fax and you trust him/her, distance is secondary.

Take care,

Korina

Oh yes, this one really hurt me at work. My hands were shaking when I input the new next of kin, and can't actually remember who I put ... it would have been my sister or nephew, but not sure now, it's completely blank! It's another one of those: "he's really not coming back" moments, and then you have to look at yourself and ask who is actually that close to you ... all I ever wanted or needed was him. unsure.gif

Thank you all for the advice. I do have my sisters-in-law who live in New Mexico and Texas and they have been wonderful to me. They consider me their sister. I also have my best friend who lives in Florda who I have know for 40 years. So I guess I will decide on let them know.

I know when I brought up this subject that there are so many of you that have these issues with dealing with next of kin and beneficiaries.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

Argh, I just had to add "next of kin" info on my Virgin Atlantic Boarding Pass for tomorrow's flight to Savannah ... it actually made me feel nauseous filling it out. I put down my sister in law this time! Speak to you all when I get back on the 20th October xxxx

Jeanne,

This is a really difficult form for me to fill out, even when I have to be the one to initiate it at work. I go into a major dilemma at the start of each school year, sports season, or scout sign up, hospital record update, or new job. Not only do I need to list someone to contact for myself, I worry about who will know where the kids are. No one is that involved in my life to know where to find us. So, I list my neighbors and carry my cell phone with everyone's title. I hope if that time ever came, where someone had to reach out in my favor, that it will be enough information. It might not be a bad idea to have a list at home of all the people. Thanks for making me think more about this. I tend to avoid it whenever possible.

Kath