Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Trying Something New

shhh65

I'm trying something new this winter. My husband and I had planned to take our camper and travel after his retirement but he died suddenly just 6 working days short of that goal. After the 2nd anniversary of his death, December 22nd, and Christmas with my family, I have a reservation in a campground near Gulf Shores, AL for Jan-March. I need to make a decision about the camper, whether to keep it or sell it. I think this will help me decide and get me out of the harsh part of the winter here in Illinois. I'm trying to be optimistic but if it doesn't work out I'm not going to be hard on myself. I think we can only keep trying to figure out what our future is without the one we thought we would spend it with.

Sherry

Sherry, That sounds great, wish I wasn't so far away, I'd join you! That's something I miss. I hope you find peace and solitude and maybe even make some new friends along the way. I find nature to be restorative, so I hope it does that for you too!

Love,

Kay

Hi Sherry,

I think taking your camper to a campground for a try is a good idea.I have a trailer that my husband and I enjoyed from April until October. I decided after he died if I could spend 2 nights by myself then I would keep it and not put it up for sale.It was hard because I missed him so much but the trailer does give me pleasure and I have many friends there who have been very good to me and I also have meet new friends.Good luck.

Mary Lou

Dear Sherry,

I guess I never realized how close your husband was to retiring. How sad that is. That said, I am really proud of you for taking the step forward to enjoy the things you two had planned on doing. It is all we can do to push forward. There are some unfinished things my husband wanted to with the kids in tow and reading your story makes me all the more willing to go ahead with them. It is good we can carry our loved ones in our hearts. That way they are always there. Best of luck to you. This is a new beginning!

Love,

Kath

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. Mary Lou, I'm happy to hear that you are still able to use your camper. I'm hoping for a good experience as well. I do know that Harry would be proud of me for trying this.

Sherry

Sherry,

Let us know how it goes!

Kay

• 1 month later...

Kay, you asked me to post how it's going. I'm happy to report that in spite of getting a late afternoon start, we managed to get the camper down here and set up the next afternoon (December 28th). My brother-in-law, sister & nephew stayed with me for a week. When they left, I did not cry. I go to almost every activity and I'm meeting really nice people. I've had a few problems with the camper but with the help of others, I've gotten them fixed or figured out and managed to even laugh about it. I've noticed that my sense of humor is coming back and it feels good. I'm not fooled. I know I will face periods of sadness but I'm trying to focus on living. I'm happy the weather is starting to improve and looking forward to getting down to the beach. More later....

Sherry

Sherry,

I admire you also..You are One Brave Women..No matter what you decide to do you are right, Don't Ever Be Hard on Yourself....That is a Pioneering move as far I am concerned..While you are at the Coast you should try to read the book "Follow the River" by James Alexander Thom, Author of "Warrior Women"..it is a true, inspiring book dating back to 1755..(but sounds like your staying busy..that is Awesome)

Your Husband is more than proud of you - He is Beaming with Admiration of your Strength..

..I wish for you everyday full of Sunshine and Warmth..

Love and Peace,

Babs

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words girls. Babs, they have a used book store here & I will check to see if they have that book. If not, my sister runs one back home and maybe she will have it. Our retirment plans now have to become my retirment plans. I really dislike the winter weather, I have this camper, so here I am giving it a try. Yes, I also think Harry would be proud of me.

Peace to you as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Sherry

I dislike winter also! Yes, Your Harry is proud and helps guide you towards the plans that you had...I hope you are still finding your way, "In the South"..

..The book I often think of that I mentioned, Follow the River. My husband read it first and then gave it to me to read..I often think of the story when I am out walking our dog..Sometimes I am on trails and sometimes next to streams and also to the Hudson River that we live by..and I think about "Mary Ingles" who walked along way to find her Husband and Family again...This is a story of a very Brave, Hard Driven women who would not be Beaten..She walked thousands of miles to find her family again..I guess that may be what we are all trying to accomplish..

Warmth and Sunshine to you always and on all your Journeys..

Love and Peace,

Babs

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted

• 2 months later...

Reporting in after being a snowbird for the last 3 months. I met some wonderful couples and made friends who have already called and emailed to check on me since I returned home last week. God is faithful even when I am not and He sent a wonderful new widow friend while I was there. She and her husband had been to this particular campground year before last. He passed away just a year ago this month. I was so proud of her for attempting this so soon on her own and we became fast friends. She told me she was so happy I was there for her as well. I felt it was my time to "pay it forward" so to speak and was glad to be strong enough to be there for her.

I grew in my confidence and happiness. I'm no longer wishing I was dead but looking forward to life. I'm sure there will be setbacks along the way, I don't kid myself about that. My children had been to see me last November because they were worried about me. I love them so much and I don't want to be a source of worry to them on top of the grief they bear in losing their Dad.

Just wanted to share some positive news with those of you who have been traveling down this road with me. I'm hoping each of you are having some successes in finding happiness as well.

God Bless!

Marty,

Thank YOU for providing this forum. I didn't know if I would EVER get to this place. I think it's important for us to be able to share our successes with the ones we hold so dear in this process. And, I can only pray it gives a tiny bit of hope to others who are new to this journey who might click on this discussion group.

Sherry,

I'm glad you're having a good time, we've missed you here but wish you well. Do keep us posted from time to time!