Grief Healing Discussion Groups

One Year Today

Today is the first anniversary of my husband's sudden passing and it is has been so difficult, remembering the last day of his life yesterday was almost more than I thought I could bear. I couldn't even go to bed I slept on the couch. The darkness of night is so much worse. Somehow when the sun is out and the tears come it is not as desperate. I have a family that cares and some friends that get it, but in the end, when your spouse is gone, no one can understand unless they have gone through it so that is why I am just expressing my grief today on this site. I continue to learn lessons that I never thought I would have to learn, and while it has been one year and it brings out the horrow and sadness of that day, it really only marks that day, everything will no be ok tomorrow. But what I do hope for is acceptance and less pain in the year to come. I sent a long email to my son last night, detailing the last day of his father, as we were in Puerto Vallarta on holidays. I added a few other things about how much I loved his Dad and how much his Dad loved him . I asked him to feelhis grief because it is important for him to express his tears and pain in order to heal. I received a wonderful email back from him today. I also received an email from a friend who is vacationing in PV and for those who know PV she went to the Lady Guadalupa church today and lite a candle to honour his passing there one year ago. So while people around me care...the loss I feel and the lonliness I feel are so deep it is hard to express. But I wanted to honour him on this site by saying my husband Johnny died a year ago today.

Dear Sharon

You honour your husband every day by thinking of him as lovingly as you do.

I have just reached the six months mark of my great loss. Having got here I feel that I will be OK at sometime in the future, and so will you. I'm guessing that like me, at the start you couldn't see how you could possibly live without him for six months or a year. So while the time passes slowly and the joy of life is missing, we (and all here on this site) are struggling to make the best of it. That's an achievement and another milestone of a different type.

I wish you some comfort and happier times ahead...Susie Q

Sharon:

Your words are very heartfelt and honest, and they honor your dear husband. I was very touched reading your post.

Hugs,

Korina

I chose to look at the one year mark as a milestone for my survival...you made it through a whole year of "firsts without" and that was a huge feat!